1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with post fall ice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Oxmow, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

I was wondering how you guys in areas that get a lot of ice deal with it before during and after the event. I spread ice melt before when i can. I have found that this makes it easier to seperate the ice from the surface it is on when i need to remove it.

What do you do for ice that was not pretreated and is now very thick (2 to 5 inches or so)?

Does anyone have a method of removing it effectively?

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Well, for the first time this weekend, I was in this exact situation. I ended up just kicking myself over & over until I felt better. To solve it, I used a lot of deicer & slid my truck into a wall :cry: luckily I was just idling when I started to slide sideways.

3. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Pretreat With Straight Salt And Watch It The Post Treat With Straight Salt. Or If There Willing To Pay Use Magic

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

just put a crapload of salt on it and come back in an hour with a ice chipper or shovel

its not too bad, just takes a little time.

5. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

we never have been in a event that put down that amount of ice before.. but if we were i would pretreat with salt and after make sure i got a lot of sand down because it going to take a while to melt that kind of ice.. im thinking by the time the salt melts the ice u are going to have a ***** load of law suits without the sand for traction..

6. Forget all the sand, chipping and headaches and just use a treated salt. As for pretreating, it really makes a difference both in time savings, labor, and reduces liability. Pretreating(anti ic-ing)works real good for folks who are working on a seasonal contract and want to do less. :) Those who get paid in different ways, per time, ton or however have to decide is the labor savings and the chance of burning off is worth the savings. Calculated risks.....

7. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

i would still put down the sand.. with that much ice if its cold out and no sun its going to take a while to melt it down, and that place is going to be a skating ring!!!

8. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

pretreat with magic. post treat with magic. continue until desired results are achieved