1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with people that think a way is the only way.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by GSS LLC, Feb 27, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

There is a RIGHT way. dealing with a big company on how to properly take care of a property. Senior center with commercial also. Has a 2" trigger and I have to wait to sand/salt until they call me. Does anyone else see a problem with that? These people can barely walk across a smooth tile floor without breaking a hip, much less a snow packed parking lot that is at a slope. Trying to convince them a 1" trigger and salt/sand every time is needed. But they don't want to spend the money, its a small lot too. probably 140 dollars per event to salt/sand the whole lot. It snowed thursday last week, I didn't get a call until monday morning wanting me to sand. I know people say I'm not liable but really, you think someone wont try to sue me just because its the property managers duty to call me and request salt/sand?

Thoughts? Opinions? Bacon?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need to convince them of a seasonal contract. Better budgeting and keeping the guess work out of it.

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

HA! YEAH RIGHT! These people would spend 10,000 more on snow removal if there was a chance they could save 500 by paying per push.

4. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

Drop them move on! Not worth the headache. I'm still learning to choose my customers.

5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

oh, I don't know. Someone that calls for service 4 days after a event seems like a good deal. I don't see the liability, they call for service and you provide it when they ask for it. The fact that they call for service after the event takes the pressure off of you to provide service during the event.

6. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Event ended Saturday morning and I have been plowing thirty of the last fourty hours spacing it out a little is not a bad thing, yo ass can only sit in that machine so many hours.:dizzy:

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them you cannot risk damaging your truck or injuring your crew by opearating in those conditions. Seasonal or move to the next customer.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It took me a couple of years to resolve a similar problem. Ultimately, it depends on how much you want to continue service, but it starts w/ knowing more info & developing relationships beyond your current or existing contacts within the company. In other words, the owner of said property or the upper management may not necessarily agree w/ or be familiar w/ the decision making process that currently exists. Sometimes you have to paint "the element of concern" w/ them, similar to how you have done it here.

For me, it's a process that happens in phases. Basically, it comes down to actually helping those existing decision makers loose credibility and ultimately showing the owner in the other state, the QA guy and regional manager that they aren't qualified to make those calls, nor are they monitoring the pavement & air temps, precipitation, radar, etc., etc.

One part of that process is inviting the existing decision maker to take a walk outside w/ me...I do this often, because almost anything they say or do at this point I can use against them, weather they take that walk or not. It's impossible to map out every scenario, but it is a process that you are thinking about and refining more-so than they are.

Something else worth mentioning...It helps to try and understand the logic/ psychology being used and in many cases boils down to this...

People need to feel important or have some level of self worth or control. They often don't get it at home or in other areas of their lives, so they take it or demand it where they can (and yes, believe it or not, it's w/ you). Think about how people become married to that one parking space in the entire lot...make sense? As juvenile as this may seem, it's reality.

Also...people who work in this type of facility feel WAY underpaid & WAY under appreciated. In fact, many of them are flat out NUTS & have their own agenda. Another way to put it...Lets say a big storm comes through and the property requires 2 salts per day for a 3 day event. (from their prospective) It takes you a small amount of time to come in & do your thing, before you leave and move on somewhere else only to do it again or go back home. Meanwhile....this person is observing what just took place from their prison environment, of where they will remain until their shift ends. All the while, they are thinking about how much money you are billing them. They might see you for an hour here and an hour there...all they know is your check is much bigger than theirs...and that's a problem, even though nobody will ever admit it.

You also may sometimes be cutting into their own earnings, especially places like Bob Evans where the managers earnings are based off the stores earnings after expenses.