1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dealing with lazy city workers...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Feb 13, 2009.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

kinda bored so i thought id share my experience for the day.
    well, im sorry, im not trying to generalize to all city workers, mostly the ones in my city.

one of our clients called the city and said that one of their plow trucks knocked a slab of concrete (small maybe 1'x2'x2") that her newspaper mailbox was anchored in, out of place. So apparently they send a crew there, and all they did was slide it over about 6" and then proceed to tell our client that there is no way it was them and that it was us, the contractors who knocked it out.

So im talking to her, and let her know that we will be right over to take a look. So we throw a shovel and a couple buckets of gravel in the truck and head over. As I look at the slab, there is no way this would be blamed on us. The slab was hit and broken at the exact point where a city truck would clip it with a plow. It was rotated away from the mailbox in the direction of travel. The city workers didnt even place it back correctly. So we threw some gravel in it and placed it back properly and explained the situation with her. She completely agreed with us and she said that she noticed the way it was moved, which is why she called the city in the first place.

I cant stand the lack of accountability these days, everyone is always pointing fingers...

anyone else have frustrating stories about dealing with city/municipal workers??
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Those lazy CS'ers
    I do a bunch of little buildings downtown.
    For some reason, the city (which actually does a REALLY GOOD JOB on the streets) feels it's necessary to do the sidewalks downtown. (you know, the ones that I get paid for)

usually they are there 2 to 3 hours after I've been and gone. (in fact, I never noticed them til this year, the stupid city lady says "we go out at 4"

Bullcrap. The very first one I see is at about 6am. Maybe they mean they get to the shop at 4, then have coffee, then drive over.

Do they do the sidewalks with shovels?
    Oh no, they take these Kubota lawnmowers WITH CABS and put either brooms or plows on the front of them. (probably 30 or 40 grand apeice for these) to make ONE SINGLE PASS down a 10' sidewalk. And they don't even get next to the building, so I still have to shovel the entire thing.

And I'm sure these idiots are making overtime plus (when there isn't any work otherwise anyway).

My favorite is that they keep dropping ice melt while it's snowing. Which just creates ice.

your tax dollars at work.

and the sad part is, that the streets crew is by far (I mean not even close) the best in the Denver Metro area.
  3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

ah, but the moral of the story is that you took care of your customer, even though you didn't create the problem. Kudos to you!
  4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Thats exactly it, and since she realised it wasn't you but you PUT IN THE TIME ANYWAYS, that will sit well with her when yor '09/'10 bid comes in:D
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

she was really gracious that we helped out and asked what does she owe us, i replied that she owes us nothing. She asked us to give her a quote on lawncare which is my change to get on this street as there are a bunch of houses that get cut by another company.