1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dealing with frozen plow...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by crazymike, Dec 12, 2005.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

My plow seems to have froze a bit overnight. It still goes up and down easily. But when I go left or right it makes a whining noise and moves hesitantly. What is the best way to deal with it?

Should I move it around until the fluid warms up a bit?

Leave the truck running and let the engine heat unfreeze it?

My salamander is up north and I can't get the truck in the shop for a while. I don't need the plow today, but I would like to know how to deal with this in the future.

It's a Western 8'6" pro plow, new this year.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you have water in the fluid- got to heat er up. If it's an electrohydraulic system running the engine of the truck is of no use as the pump and fluid is all in front of the truck and still outside. Gotta heat er up to melt the ice and change the fluid.

Any other possible ideas guys?
  3. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Hang a drop light on the lift arm and cover it with a blanket. Won't take long at all to thaw out. I had the same problem until I changed my fluid.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Warm her up and change the hyd fluid. remember to get the old fluid out of the hoses and rams too and clean your filter.
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I left it in the sun and went back out and it was fine. It was -15 this morning, but that's a fairly common occurance here.

No way I will change the fluid myself at this point. I paid for a new plow and expext it to work as new so I will return it to the dealer. I've plowed two storms so far, no reason for me to be getting dirty yet.

I was hoping maybe the heat radiating off the front of the engine might be enough to thaw it. The sun did the trick. It wasn't frozen solid, just sticking. Maybe just ice on the rams?
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Oops:eek: I missed the NEW part.
    Ask them what they used for hydraulic fluid.
    If they used ATF have them use a better fluid, one with a lower freezing point.
  7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Make sure that you have ENOUGH fluid. sounds like you are a bit low.
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

The plow was new but it may have been sitting on their lot for the summer. I ordered an 8' but got an 8'6" for the same price when my order didn't ship in time.

The shoes however were rusty so I assume it was a display unit out front. I would hope they would have checked fluid before selling it as they are a reputable dealer, but they negllected to angle my headlights, so who knows.
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Have them flush and fill the system if you think its been sitting outside already assembled, The power units will wick moisture during temperature changes, built one plow in july and didnt put fluid in it, drained 1/2 pint of water from it in november.