1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with an insurance adjuster

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Camden, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It's been over 2 weeks since I was rear ended and my truck still isn't fixed and the adjuster isn't being helpful.

Last week he said he'd have my claim settled by Friday and he never even called. I e-mailed him and said that I would simply contact the Department of Commerce and file a complaint due to his inactivity (I know they don't want that due to past dealings I've had with other adjusters...they can have their license revoked if they get enough complaints).

He called me this morning and asked for 1 more day but I could tell by the way he talked to me that I'm not going to be happy with his proposed settlement offer. He said something like, "You know receiver hitches bend easily...blah blah blah" :dizzy:

I'm already thinking that I'm going to end up in court over this...have any of you ever had to go that route to get a fair settlement? What was the outcome?

This is not involving any personal injury, just property damage.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Find your own adjuster.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

What would be the advantage of that?

Don't get me wrong, I'll get one if it'll help my case but I'd like to know a little more first...
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i went through that about 2 years ago. got rear ended the the insurance adjuster offered half of the repair and told my i was partialy responsible because i was there. talked tgo a lawyer i know and he wrote a letter and explained that i was rewar ended therfore the MUST cover the entire cost of the repair. he had me get 3 estamites and had to go with the lowest. i would call the adjuster in the morning and tell him if it not resolved in 24 hours you will be talking to a lawyer.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

More info on what happened. In NY you can take your truck anywhere you want so if you have a favorite repair shop you deal with that may help. How old is the truck?
  6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

'04 Dodge diesel...I was stopped dead at an intersection and POW I got nailed from behind...the lady absolutely spilled her guts to the cop, saying she was totally at fault...she even drew a diagram while we were waiting for the cops to arrive and showed it to the officer, he started laughing as to say "you idiot"...

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

CAMDEN you can take your truck anywhere to get fixed, they are going to tell you to take it to there perfered shop DON'T. I don't know the amount of damage but take it to 4 or 5 shops to get an estimate and keep the highest 3, nowadays all the repair times/prices are in the computer so they should be close in price. Don't settle on a lesser amount stick to your:gunsfiring: they will try everything to cheap out. Next time you talk to her adjuster ask him if he would be the one to talk to about your soar neck and back then see how fast you get your truck fixed.xysport
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

What's the deal with those "preferred" shops anyway? That word has been thrown around a couple times now. Are those shops in bed with the insurance companies or what?
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

2 weeks isn't to bad, I think its week 7 for me. So far no progress has been made and my truck and plow are still damaged.
  10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

7 weeks?? I feel bad for you, man! Have you written any e-mails or complained to the insurance oversight office? Your state has a place where you can file a complaint and I would suggest you do that ASAP.

Good luck
  11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If the truck is commercial use make up a bill for lost income and submit it to the adjuster. . contact a lawyer NOW. The insurance co's like to stall as long as possible so you get frustrated and settle.
  12. jdadjstr

jdadjstr Junior Member

Camden, Sorry to hear about your displeasure with your adjuster. If it were me, I'd "climb the ladder" to talk with the adjuster's manager and let them know about the deadlines you've been promised that have been missed. You hopefully will find when talking to the adjuster's superior that "cooler heads" will prevail. I'm not certain if I'd hire a public adjuster as someone suggested, you'll just be giving away some of your settlement. In most insurance policies there is an "appraisal clause" if the two parties don't agree, however, this would be pertinent to first party losses. I'm not certain if this is a first or third party claim however. Is this your insurance you're dealing with or the responsible party's carrier? Good luck getting this resolved.
  13. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you could always take it to the shop that you want to fix it, have them do an estimate, and talk to your insurance company. Let them fight it out with the ladys company. The truck will get fixed and they will get all the $$ from them for you.

I got hit by a girl when I had my car. She was at fault. Took my car to a shop and had it fixed, my ins paid for it and went after the girls ins for the $$.
  14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Well, things went as expected today. The adjuster called me and offered me about 1/3 of what the repairs will cost.

I said "No Deal" (just like the contestants on the tv show). I told him that I intend to file a lawsuit and that I will just have to reach a resolution that way.

Do any of you know where I should file suit....the county where the accident happened?...the county in which I live in?...or the county where the woman resides who hit me?

I'd rather not retain a lawyer because I think I can handle this myself. I've got loads of documentation and I've been in front of a judge many times for other small claims cases.
  15. gump

gump Member

I would consult with an attorney to see what options you have. If nothing eles the attorney cant point you in the right direction,plus the ins companies are more scared of going to court so if you have a lawyer they will be on the run. They all think they can just push us around. sometimes you just have to be a d+++ .
  16. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Camden you will have to file where the incident took place at it would be like your truck getting stolen in chicago and you filing the report in detroit
  17. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Have a lawyer make a phone call for you. The same thing you are going thru happened to my sister. I called my lawyer, explained the situation. She called the insurance company that day and they over nighted a check for the full amount my sister wanted. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call I would try that first It's alot less headache then going to court. JMO
  18. gump

gump Member

Exactly! they think most of us wont go through the hassel of calling an attorney. Soon as they here from yours they will be more apt to settel. If you do this yourself they will have you running in circles.
  19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

don't you still feel the after effects of the whiplash too camden? perhaps you should go get that checked and call the adjuster. It must be painful having to shovel snow in that condition and cause you do miss worktime.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

CAMDEN call your insurance company and tell them what happened. Then take your truck in to get fixed, your insurance will pay to fix your truck the only drawback to this is you will have to pay your deductable, which you will get back. Your insurance co. will then fight with her co. Now if you are just looking to get a check from her co. you will have to fight it out but I would raise some hell.