1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealers on PlowSite.com - PLEASE REPLY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sean Adams, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

Dear PlowSite.com Members,

I have received a lot of differing opinions regarding this matter so I wanted to post it here to see what everyone thought.

Should dealers be allowed to post on plowsite with the intent to sell or pitch their products?

At lawnsite.com we do not allow dealers to post, and my intent was to have the same rule here at plowsite. However, there were some members that said they were benefitting from the dealers posting.

So let me know what you think and I will make a decision one way or the other.
  2. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I think there can be a "happy" medium. There must be a way to share the information and products without it being a full on sales "pitch". I have been a state director here for the past 11 years and we allow "dealers/companies" to share their new ideas and technology information but not pitch the directors/members. If after a guest speaker is finished, a director wants more info etc. they can contact the person sharing the information. Knowledge is power...so they say.
  3. yellowpoly

yellowpoly Junior Member

I think thats what sponsorships and banner ads are for. By answering questions and troubleshooting, they can buld brand loyalty, but I don't want to listen to a commercial.
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I myself avoid ramming my product down peopls throat but like said above there is a happy medium and it is kinda hard to hit 100% of the time
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

My other full-time job I'm a sales person, ( selling automation safety equipment ) when a customer asks me to look at a piece of equipment that he wants my product applied, then that's all I do is sell MY product, because HE called me. I often do safety training seminars for Ford Motor, when we do these we do not talk about our product, bad mouth the competition, but talk about applications, trouble shooting and industry standard practices. If a dealer here on this site can offer application assistance, trouble shooting, etc. but not say "well if you would of used my product you would of never had this problem" then sure let them stay.

I think it may be in there best interest to want to stay on this site. If they come across a guy who has had a bad experience with there product and is considering changing, they could possibly help them with the current problem but also retain a customer.

Just my 2 cents worth !!
  6. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

How about allowing a small # of lines in the sig?
    That gets their msgs out, isn't taking up 1/2 a screen, keeps them happy since they are getting an ad out, but keeps EVERYONE happy with it being small! 1-2 lines should be fine for anyone to say what they want.

Just for an example, Nates is good, it stands out a bit with the color, says what he has to offer and dosn't annoy me with having to scroll past it to read more. (the quote is a bit much tho):D

8-10 lines with specs and prices is a bit much to have to go through to read the next reply tho.

It's like talking to someone in your garage that is trying to sell you something everytime they open their mouth vs talking to someone that is wearing a hat or shirt advertising their stuff. Which one will drive you nuts faster?:mad:

I realize I am still a new guy here, just my $.02
  7. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

I like the links to places that sell parts, ultimatly it's up to ME where I purchase parts, or equipment.

I visit almost every link someone post's on this forum, but I usually do alot of research before making a purchase.

Just recently I bought a set of Timbrens for my S-10, I did alot of research from this board and the net, and Ebay, on prices, and shipping cost's..
    and the responces I received from the members of this board helped me decide to purchase them.

but then again I would hate to see this board become a HUGE adverstising place for individuals, or big company's alike.

I visit this board to further expand my knowledge base on snow removal, and snow removal equipment.

I visit this board several times a day to keep up with all the questions, and answer's, and a little advertising isnt all that annoying.

thank God there arent pop up's !
  8. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I think allowing dealers to post their products would be beneficial. Maybe under their own new discussion thread? Then we members can have the option to "shop" on that thread without having it crammed down our throats. It would give me another place to search for products.
  9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure how many of the responses so far are from dealers but I sell Fisher plows and don't feel the need to plaster ads and publicity comments all over every thread,I never intended to profit from this site(finacially) but if other dealers can than thats great,but,a seperate forum would be nice,somewere were your biz is clearly outlined as to what you sell/service as to keep the other forums open for their original intent.
    I don't believe we should chase dealers away as the info and knowledge they bring to the table is priceless,at the same time a seperate forum will give the dealers who would rather post pics all day versus help troubleshoot members problems a place to go and sell away.JMO
  10. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

I agree that the Dealers should have there own forum. If they want to put a signature that id's them as a dealer it should be kept short and simple (like Nate's). Leave the current forums as is for questions, technical assistance, etc. and if they want to push a sales pitch give them their own forum, if I want to look at it I will. That said, there also needs to be an enforced rule that any "sales pitch" in the wrong forum from a dealer gets moved and a warning issued to that dealer. Too many warnings, for Sean to decide, and the dealer is banned. Just my two cents.
  11. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Dealers pushing products

I think if a dealer is going to push their products on this site they should pay a SMALL fee for doing so. Then everyone makes out...
  12. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I think that as long as they're contributing on a "normal" level, they shouldn't have to hide the fact that they're dealers.

Someone asks about a Western plow application and a Western dealer answers with the following scenarios:

"Yeah, I'm a Western dealer, and that plow weighs 700 lbs and we've put a lot of them on your model of truck with no problems. I'm in your area, so if you're interested, call me, contact info through the link in my sig file."

"I sell all models of Westerns! Give me a call, we'll meet or beat any advertised price! Free box of steaks with every plow install."

One is irritating, the other was a legit answer with relevant followup. IE: if they want to make a plug, let them earn it by being useful. If all the post is doing is selling, it's bad. If the post is informing, then mentioning the possibility of sale, that's fine in my book.

Lets say someone asks "What are Timbrens?" and a dealer says "They are a rubber bump-stop/spring thingie designed to assist the front suspension when your plow is on the truck. I sell them dirt cheap, shoot me an email" that should be ok.
    Now if the dealer would have just chimed in with simply "I sell Timbrens, $XXX + shipping" that's useless sales.

Way back when I finally banned a guy from my site because ALL he did was try to sell his ****. I even told him that if he'd make HALF an effort to answer people's questions, I wouldn't mind if he plugged his stuff, and he got all pissed off. So there are some obtuse people out there, but I think decent folks would understand.
  13. cos

cos Junior Member

Your just kidding, nate..right?
  14. Big Nate's Plowing

um no Dana, never did it over at your place, never done it here.
  15. cos

cos Junior Member

Need a Heavy Duty Snow Deflector? How about a set of timbrens?

Oh okay.

BTW. What are you on the fence about? I heard you were on the fence. :)
  16. leadarrows

leadarrows Junior Member

I think members should be allowed to tell each other about any thing they want. Other sites, products and site links but if you want sponsors to pay the only fair thing is one product vendor pays they all pay. It has to be the same rules for every one. You and every other business man/woman on this site knows that like it or not. JMO.
  17. Big Nate's Plowing

if thats ramming it down someones throat then what do you call Jon Geers posts?

oh and I am no longer riding the fence
  18. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Capitalism Served Daily!

I agree with NoStockBikes!!, If someone is a participating member of the site there should be no problem sliding the fact that you are a dealer into the post. The same goes with an HTML link in the signature.

I would like to see a separate forum for 100% anything goes buy and sell discussion. If someone has taken on a new product line or has a new product to sell he/ she could post in this area without ruffling any feathers.
  19. snowplowman

snowplowman Junior Member
    from NH

I think it can be a happy medium for both. We are a dealer of snow removal equipment and think that when someone wants confirmed info as in what will fit a vehicle, specs on equipment and such, they should get the proper and correct info. Not the guessing that goes on. We have been in the commercial snowplowing for 15+ years and before I was a distributor alot the dealers wouldn't even open a parts book to find what you needed or couldn't even stock a simple part for my plow. We believe in a dealer customer relationship is good business. It doesn't do a plower any good to have a dealer tell them that we can order that part for you and have it in a week or two, because in this business that don't cut it. And most dealers or manufacturers have a website, but can't even have the courtesy to email you back. Our manufacturer is a sponsor of this site and we take pride in what we sell, the service techs are outstanding as to knowledge of there product. I don't think we are pushing anything on anybody, we just give the facts. So when you say you can't find a part for the plow that we sell then you haven't called us.
  20. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

I have no problem with a link or something SMALL in someones sig, Example,,
    I do have a problem with 1/2 a screen worth or parts and prices. Poor example, can't find what I was looking for,,,
    NOT picking at anyone, or trying to play favorites! I understand being proud of what you have and have grown to. This was just the biggest sig I could find quickly!:D