1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealer talked me out of wings

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mike33, Dec 7, 2006.

1. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I drove 1 hour to my dealer today to get a set of wings for on my 8.2 v and dealer talked me out of them. He seen my curb guards were well used and asked if i had big lots. I told him not really lots of smaller ones. He said i would probably tear them up on the lots i plow because of a lot of curbing.
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If I hit a curb with mine, all they do is bend, flex, or use the trip feature on the plow. No problems at all.....That's surprising to me....I hit all types of curbage all the time with no problems...:drinkup:
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I hit curbage with mine all the time and their just fine.
    I really like them for running down(along) curbs, works great!

Their a time saver too. You can move and stack more snow easer and quicker.

This is the second year with mine, no bends or cracks.:waving:
    I expect my plows to earn me money and the Boss wings are the best thing scene the intention of the V-plow.

How much was a set If he sold them to you?

What a bunch of crap! Then what are the wings made for? swiming?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I was quoted $500.00 for a set. That seems a little steep to me. I was thinking about putting them on my 9'2" V plow. How much weight do they add? My 3/4 ton Chevy is about maxed out with that plow. I could always install timbrens I guess.
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I think everyone was paying right around $500 and that's what I paid for a set.

If weight is an issue then timbrens would called for with the wings on.
    But remember you can remove them, so the added weight would only be an issue while they were in use.
    I don't recall how much they weighted.
    The weight might be mentioned in one of the other threads on Boss wings.
    Try a search their are a few guys using them.

Most seen to be very happy with them..
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

What do you think SnoFarmer...about 30-40 pounds per wing? Sound about right? Thats my guess anyway. I got the wings, and a new cutting edge all installed last winter for about $750.00. Mine are a time saver, therefore, a money maker. Like SnoFarmer said above, these things are awesome going up next to curbs and things like that. They slide on and off in about 10 seconds each....and i'm not kidding! I will recommend them to anyone!
  7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Thanks guys i just might go back and get them. I wanted some opinion. My dealer is a good guy i have spent a lot of $ with him . V plow, curb guards, stand for plow, salt spreader, and hid lights. As long as you all dont think i will tear them up.
  8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Hey Mike. I just bought another set of wings at $509 plus tax (pre-season pricing) plus installation, came out to right round $750. They are awesome! Mine are on a straight blade, so I couldn't tell you how much more effective they are or not on a v-blade. Never have had any problems with curbs or tripping action of the plow. They weigh in at 90-100 lbs. for the set of wings when you include the hardware that's bolted onto the plow as well. I don't think I'll ever have another plow without them!
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sounds about right 30lb to 40lb a wing.

There definitely built to last.:nod:
  10. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

So how would they work on a V-plow? My dealer also told me the same thing - mainly because it already scoops. I was thinking about getting them more for the extra length on big lots.
  11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I put a new set on this year and they are awesome. Although you should know that you need to cut the rubber and maybe a little steel if you want to keep those curb guards. I had to cut mine (wing rubber) on my poly straight blade so I wouldn't have to take them off. That was difficult because you need to match your cut with the angle off the wings so snow doesn't get thru. Good luck.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I use my wings on a V plow and in a big open lot.
    I have the plow set in a slight scoop position.
    Wow, does it move a lot of snow and with almost no trail off to the clean side.

Yea, I had to trim off just a little of the urethane to make them fit with the new edges.
    I put them on and marked the back side then I cut them with a jig-saw, set on slow