1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealer says Snowdogg plows are only sold installed?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by KM81, Aug 27, 2011.

1. KM81

KM81 Member

I went to my local dealer yesterday to price out a new MD75. I planned on installing it myself, because that's the way I have always done it. He told me that the only way Snowdogg will allow him to sell and warranty the plow is if they are installed by a dealer.

So how are these plows being sold on ebay? Do they not come with warranties?

Unfortunately he is the only Snowdogg dealer in my area so I cannot go check somewhere else. Also I feel that if I do end up buying the plow online, the dealer will not support me because I didnt buy it from him. He isn't the easiest guy to deal with.

I REALLY want a Snowdogg, but I am starting to feel like the lack of dealer support in my area is going to force me into the Western. (there is 4 Western dealers within 8 miles of me)

What do you think?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think the dealer has issues with improper installs being claimed as warranty. I would guess 90% or more of the issues we see with self installs are the install and factories won't warranty install errors. Not that you are not capable of doing it but if that is his experience he is probably cutting his stress levels. Customers can get very belligerent when you tell them there is a charge because they installed a ground/power wire improperly, plugged the harnesses in wrong or many of the various other issues I have seen.

Let me ask; how do you install/tighten SS hardware??

3. KM81

KM81 Member

I understand him being concerned about some pencil pusher trying to install his first plow and ending up over torquing or otherwise improperly installing the mount, but to flat out say that he will not even sell me a plow unless he installs it seems a little strange.
    Obviously the install charge is pure profit for him, because he has his 17 year old son doing all his installs.
    I think what he should be telling people is "I highly recommend having us install the plow, because of our experience and knowledge of our product, but if you choose to install it yourself, we will not warranty any problems related to the install." But what he is saying is "I will not sell you a plow unless I install it." (He wants $450 for the install)
    What I am saying is, there is no way in hell I am going to go spend $3500 on a brand new plow and then have a blown seal on the pump not be warrantied because I didnt pay his install charge..
    Oh, and when dealing with SS hardware, you will have galling issues unless you properly lube, torque, and re-torque the bolts. I do frame off restorations as a side business, have an AOS in Automotive Service from Alfred State College and am fully ASE certified. (well I used to be anyway. I havent taken a continuing education class in 4 years. lol)

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good answer but not the commen one, most people just grab a power tool then curse "poor quality" hardware, don't own a torque wrench and think torque specs are just "guidelines," doesn't work with SS;)

5. KM81

KM81 Member

Ok so now that I've told you my life story, I still don't have an answer to my question.
    Is it a Snowdogg policy to only sell their plows installed, or is the dealer lieing to me?

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

they sell them uninstalled because esi ships them so I don't see that as a snowdogg policy
    But a dealer can do what he wants by the sounds of things

there are certain computer components I sell that I won't sell unless I install them cause over
    13 years I've had so many issues it's not worth the problems

Sounds like that is his way of suggesting that you order from someone else

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are a number of on-line sources for SD and that is not Snowdogg's policy to the best of my knowledge. Though I was in a SD training class where the subject of user installs was discussed and discouraged. Concerns are the inability to deal with known issues that are resolved during installs, quick access to missing/damaged parts, failure to follow instructions, the previously mentioned install errors and improper plow vehicle match ups. No one ever stated they would not warranty customer installs. Again perhaps your dealer has had poor luck with customer installs and is trying to solve a problem.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They're full of sh!t. Maybe it's their policy, but it's not the manufacturers.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Not Buyers policy at all! We have shipped many....and had warranty issues that local dealers did not want to deal with because they didnt sell the plow to the guy that bought from us. Although not always the most timely thing, the issues always get taken care of. The dealer is wrong. If you are looking for pricing send me a pm or email....Im pretty sure I can ship you one cheaper than he was gonna sell it to you for

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any other brand options with local support?

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I would rather spend a Little Extra Money and buy my Plows from a Local Dealer...That way i Build a relationship with the dealer and when i have issues he knows me and i taken care of in a timely manner....

Buying a Plow from an Internet seller is appealling due to the Price....But, once you bulid in shipping and Time to install ( Yes, My time is worth somthing) the savings have Dwindled to a Non factor....

12. KM81

KM81 Member

If you have a reputable dealer, I could understand what you are saying, but this place is not a reputable dealer.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Jim at ESI is not just some cheap internet dealer. He is a very reputable vendor for this site and has helped many of us get great pricing on great products because of that. He can't be local to everyone but tries his best to help everyone out any way he can. If the OP is going to install himself, I don't see the issue. Obviously his dealer started out on the wrong foot by lying to begin with.

14. Matson Snow

Now your saying he is Not a Reputable Dealer????

I think this Dealer is Just tired of Dealing with the issues That come to him from self install plows....
    It just Floors me that any Bozo can Purchase a Plow and try to install it himself....Yes there are many people out there that can do such a Task.....But, there a a whole lot more that Can't install Properly....In this Era of Lawsuits and Liability im surprised the Plow Manufactures allow Self installs at all....

15. Matson Snow

He is an Internet Dealer ...Right...No one is saying a Bad word about ESI or Jim.....They seem like a Good Dealer...Christ, This is what Blows about this Place.....You state an Opinion and you get lambasted

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lmfao wow, I just stood up for the guy. Sorry you know more than me and took offense.

17. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

No offense taken at all Matson, I understand what you are saying and agree. The only reason we jumped in the internet game was to keep up with the other sites that may or may not take our local customers. Plus this IS the internet age, like it or not.With that being said, our bread and butter is LOCAL business. We are a brick and mortar shop, we employ 20 people, have a fully stocked show room,do fabrication,installs and service. We are not like some places that claim to be the biggest on the web or the cheapest in the country. We just do our thing and hope for the best. If you are ever in the area come on by....you might be impressed at our little ole shop in Va. But one thing I will say the internet HAS done, it has allowed there to be competition...I have heard of some prices guys are being charged by they're local dealer and they are outrageous. We have a dealer about an hour away from us in Md that dang near gives his stuff away...runs his stuff off ebay and his business is run at a farm house with some lean twos ...almost 0 overhead. So...we either let him take our business...or take action. Anyways its all good :)

18. Matson Snow

Im Glad Jim....I was in NO way, shape or Form bad mouthing you or ESI...I hope you can see that.....You look like a Good Dealer and if i am ever in the Maket for anything i will strongly consider ESI......Todd

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll never get $18k for your truck...

Agree 100%. Keep up or get out of the way.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

LMFAO I just spit a lil pop onto my keyboard. You ass.