1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dealer said

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dave1250, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Hi all , just a note to see what you think. I went to a ford dealer and was looking at a 4 door f 350 with diesel and dual rear wheels . I informed them that I would be plowing with it .I was told that I could install a 8 ft. plow as long as it was not a fisher because of weight . I think that if I install Timbin helpers I could install A 9 Ft. V plow .The truck will not be used unless my plow truck breaks and then only for my main account.
  2. myo

myo Senior Member

Wouldn't you need at least a 8'6" or 9' just to cover your dual rear wheels?
  3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Yes you would need more than 8'. Especially around curves. The Blizzard 810 would be nice on that truck. I have even heard of the 8611 on that truck with a couple of mods.
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Forget about the 8'. Only the SRW can cover that. If you put a 8' blade on the dually truck, the outside rear wheel will be riding over the unplowed snow, meaning you create a hard pack, plus some loss of traction. With a dually, the minimum size you should go would be at least 9'.

I am not a Ford guy.... but I think that a truck that have crew cab, long box, with diesel motor would really be limiting the amount of weight you can put in front end, thus reducing the carrying capacity for the snowplow, which mean you would not be able to put on a bigger blade than other could with different truck configuation.

Also with longer wheelbase, it would make it difficult to manuever in tight accounts, but the advantage is that the truck would be able to plow better because the truck stay more straight with more traction.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I coulnd't see a problem using it as just a backup unit. Its alot of weight if it is used alone or as a main truck for plowing. Your basically asking if you could use it just as a back up truck? A 9' V is alot of weight I have to agree on that. As long as your not worried about voiding your warranty than I would say be careful.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Ford may give you a hard time with warrnty if you overload the front end.Adding the Timbren's will be a big help too.

That truck will carry a 9ft or 9.5 ft V no problem.Ballast in the back will help pull weight off the front axle.Check with some of the plow manufacturers to see what they recommend.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

As long as the plow isnt purchased through the dealer how would they ever know what size plow is on the truck. All they would see is the sub frame. Put whatever plow any reg or x cab truck that series truck can handle.
  8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hey Dino, welcome back, nice to see you posting again. You bring up a very good point, how would the dealership ever know what size plow you have on your truck? If you ever have to bring it in for service or anything, just leave the plow off of it. The only time you may get caught is if you break something out plowing and the truck has to be towed into the dealership. You wont be able to remove the plow before taking it in for warranty work. You would have to get it towed home, or wherever you store the plow, remove the plow, then have it towed to dealership, haha. Mike