1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dealer adjusted torsion bar 2"

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by captaingreen, Nov 16, 2005.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen Junior Member

I took my '05 2500HD to the dealer today to have the torsion bar set up since I'll be having my Western plow installed soon. I told the dealer my plans for plowing this year and I quess thats how they do all of them. Does two inches of height seem correct, it seems this isn't what I've read in other posts on this subject. I'll be plowing commercially with a 7.5' Western Pro plow. I also plan on keeping ice melter in the back for balast. Thanks guys!
  2. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

Captain Green,

Two Inches seems a but much although I gained about 1 and 1/2 inches. The more you gain the less travel in your suspension, and the more you gain the more stress on your ball joints and A Frames. I wouldn't go any more than 2 inches.

I have a 7.5 Western Poly Pro plow and the 1 and 1/2 inch lift was absolutely needed. You will need about 450 pounds of ballast for that plow, if you have an Extended cab, it could be different if yours is regular cab and or long bed.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

2" is the absolute max I'd go. On my truck I'd go around an 1" maybe 1.5. 2" is the absolute max IMO

A slight crank and some ballast and you should be fine. I may take a bit out if I were you but thats JMO
  4. ahrdscape

ahrdscape Junior Member

Get Timbrens
  5. captaingreen

captaingreen Junior Member

I'll be having Timbrens installed also, here in a week or so. I think I'll go back in and have them crank them down a half inch just to be on the safe side. Being as how I'm here in Missouri where that may not be as common a service as say in Chicago or Buffalo the dealer may not be educated as much as dealers in those areas. Thanks guys for the valueable info.!!!
  6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

just curoius but why would you pay to have the dealer adjust the torsion bars?:dizzy: it took me 2 minutes to do mine.
  7. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

I'm not all that sure of myself when it comes to working on Motor vehicles, also didn't have jacks. Lastly my truck is still under warranty a bumper to bumper for another 2 years and didn't want to possibly void that warranty.

8. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

I here ya about the warranty part. Im far from a gear head myself. theres only one nut on each side to adjust and they should be marked with stickers like mine. I was just tryin to save ya a few bucks is all.
  9. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

bowler, explain how it is that when you crank up on the torsion bars you loose wheel travel? More wear and tear on parts too?
    CV joints I could see but ball joints.:confused: