1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Sep 23, 2016.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

So, I meet with a guy to plow a motel...you know the type, more permanent residents than nightly ones. Anyway, he's talking about how it's 15 rooms and there's 4 people who live there and in the winter the rest fill up with homeless people that the state puts there. So all these are red flags that I don't wanna do it but what sealed it for me was when the manager pulled out a cigarette and offered me one. This "sleazy used car salesman -like" move was the deal breaker, it just seemed unprofessional to me. Even when I smoked I never did it on front of a business relation, client or vendor.

But, it got me thinking...what so of thing is a deal breaker to you guys? What makes you run the other way?
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Somebody offering me a cigarette sure as hell wouldn't be the deal breaker for me. Don't see why that offended you so badly. A deal breaker for me would be their last plow guy telling me he quit doing work there because he wasn't getting paid.
    FredG and ktfbgb like this.
  3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Ya I agree Jeff. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. I feel like I'm a pretty good judge of character and if situations. I rely on gut feelings for a lot of things and have learned to listen to them. If my gut says no go then it's always no go. You can usually figure out someone who is not going to want to pay for your service right away sometimes not though. I wouldn't say that I have any other real deal breakers though other than like Jeff said if they have a history of not paying then don't contract for them.
  4. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

OP, This seems kind of anal to me. If the guy enjoys a smoke I think it was kind of him to offer you one. There is a lot of smokers if your anti smoke or not. I like to do biz with good payers, Not if they like tobacco. Who cares!!! Concentrate on earning money, Not tobacco.

Just tell him to find somebody else because you were offended by a smoke. Not to hassle you but this is ridiculous. :nod: :dizzy: :hammerhead:
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I hate smokers and cigarettes but I fail to see how that's a deal breaker. If I walked away from every client that's smoked or offered me one while walking properties we'd be half the size we are.
    kawasaki guy and FredG like this.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I try to give everyone the benefit of trust the first time they come into the shop. But for road service, if they try to get a set price before I even see the truck, I don't go.
  7. FredG

Those sleazy old hotels are very profitable. I have a friend that buys and sells property. Sorta of a slum lord. He owns one of these old hotels he bought at a steal. He happens to be a very good payer, Anything I ever done for him was cash.

It's not wise to judge somebody that you never done biz with. I mean if he is known for not paying or a snow wizard that you can't please would be my concern. Don't judge these slum lords, Most are loaded with cash.
    ktfbgb likes this.
  8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Here the old hotels are mostly owned by Indians. Full of section 8 tenants. In other words we are paying.
  9. FredG

Yes the Indians got some here to, And we are paying, Think of it like getting the contract at the projects. Those Indians always try to get you down on your bid, I stand firm, Not to sound like a Tax crook they pay cash to. They will always ask you if there is a cash discount. Give them $50.00 off they are happy. Works pretty good for me to.
  10. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

My 3rd year plowing picked up a condo place.

Was there at the trigger amount and cleared the roads and parking then left to plow another place, while I was there the storm stopped after dropping another 2 inches.

I went back to clean up the roadways and parking spots and do the sidewalks -(gone maybe 1 hour, snow had stopped about half hour before I got back)

I get back there and the president of the condos comes out and starts screaming at me I'm not doing my job the sidewalks were not cleared the roads etc... needless to say everyone poked their heads out watching this.

It was in my contract sidewalks got done at storm end, tried explaining and she screeched even louder how dare I talk back to her.

I should have left right then but I didn't I finished up went home and sent a email to the gentleman I was dealing with saying I was cancelling the contract and they could find another plow company and I would not be back due to the president's outburst and I would not deal with someone like that.

He replied and apologized and tried to get me to stay but I didn't, I walked away from a $6,000 dollar contract but I didn't care it was the point of the whole thing.

Funny thing was the same guy called me two years later asking if I wanted the place again telling me the lady had been fired from being president. She still lived there so I declined.
    FredG likes this.
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've walked away from work because I didn't get a good vibe or they openly support a political agenda/lifestyle I don't support. It's my choice who I do bizz with.
  12. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

13. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

14. FredG

This is typical of property managers etc. I got a clause in my contract, States we are a separate biz and are professionals and will not take any advice or orders from anybody on site or residents. This is after being abused numerous times and a tip from somebody on PS.
  15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Must be nice. Not so lucky here. If I disqualified my clients and/or potential clients because they don't think like me, look like me or I didn't like their vibe I'd be pretty lonely and poor. It's business. So what if they're different...or totally different than me. I like people who are different than me. I can even deal with, and be friendly with people I can't stand. I just want to secure work for the men, and get paid on time.
    Sawboy likes this.
  16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

FredG likes this.
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No shoes , no shirt*, no service

*see exceptions

We also discriminate as to whom we will plow or sell to.
    ktfbgb likes this.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There ain't many that look like ewe................:p:popcorn::drinkup:
  19. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Getting back on track. Getting offered a smoke is similar to offering a beer, its just being social. The smoke used to be a lot more common back in the 60s or 70s but not so much today. I wouldnt offer or take a beer unless its after hours or a day that starts with T like Tuesday, Thursday , today or tommorrow.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The guy that owns my biggest customer would be considered a liberal do-gooder. He is willing to put social programs over profit.

I don't agree with him, but on the other hand,

#1 he is trying to help those who would otherwise be mooching off me
    #2 I believe that is better than the CEO's that pull every penny oot of their company, file bankruptcy or just shut the place down and screw their employees.

I pulled a signed estimate this fall from a guy who changed his mind every day, lied aboot things he said to me or my employee and I gnu was going to be a PITA no matter what I charged.

Of course we discriminate about our customers. We all discriminate.
    FredG and ktfbgb like this.