1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deadline for Snow Jobs???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonspolaris, Mar 7, 2001.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris Junior Member

how many of u have a deadline for when u have to have drives and parking lots cleared?? i have a customer that represents a subdivison, that wants the drives cleared within 8 hours of the snow ending. it would be a pretty big job, about 22 drives and sidewalks.

do u think this is reasonable??

thanks

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Big?

Unless those are really long drives I don't see that as being much of a challenge.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I dont think 8 hrs is to much to ask-heck-I wish i had 8 hrs to do mine-I try to get all opened in 3-4 ,then go back to commercials and finish them off.

4. Matt

Matt Member

I agree with John that seems to be an easible do able task. Our customers expect us to be there when the snow has reached the agreed trigger depth and when you can get 1-2" an hour in the lake effect area we may be there every 1-2 hours. We seldom wait until it is done snowing to start plowing. Peaple who expect high service get it, with appropiate costs.
    Good Luck.

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

not knowing the details, I would figure that I could do 22 normal city drives all side by side in a couple hours. Add a sidewalk person, who clears those as you are doing the drive, and I'll bet you both could be done in two hours, on a normal 5 inch or less snow.

I can't imagine doing that without a rear blade though.

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

That's definitely do-able, but as others point out there are many factors. Primarily, how mush snow there is, if there are places on the driveways to push it or do they all have to be back dragged out, the complexity of the driveways (i.e. curves, cars parked etc.), and how many other accounts you already have. If the time limit is a bit flexible if there is an abundance of snow then the deadline should be a non-issue for you.

7. jonspolaris

thanks guys,

the driveways are not big, prabally 20x40. they are also strait as a arrow. the sidewalks are very small, prabally 3'x10'. i dont think it will be a problem for me either but wanted to get your opnions.

the reason i asked this is because the represenative for this subdivison said that there last contractor was a very small operation and usuall took 12-16 hrs to even get there to do the drives after the snow had stoped. he said most of there eqiptment was over 20years old. well i hope i get the job

8. PINEISLAND1

Sounds like an awesome opportunity! I would jump all over that!

Sure would be nice to have 22 of them all lined up in a row.

How will you bid that in your area? I think I would be very happy to do those for $30 each, including the little walks.

That would be a quick $600.

9. jonspolaris

i cant bid it at $30 each other wise i wouldent get it.

its a condo subdivison and it wouldnet take long. all of the driveways are very close to eachother.

there old contractor was charging $20 each, they said that was WAY too much and woulent pay that much any more.

the guy said there last contractor was just temporary and they had to get sombody to plow the drives in short notice in the middle of the winter. thats why they had to pay $20 each.

it woudent take more that a hour to do everything, it would be a fast easy job.

thanks

10. PINEISLAND1

I guess I misunderstood the job. I though you said it was a big job, and going to be a challenge to fit it in to your schedule. If its less than an hours work, I would not even worry about getting it done within eight hours of the end of the storm.

No way would I take it for less than $20 a job though. I dont care how convenient or close they are, I wont plow and shovel walks for that.

Shoot- my neighbor kids could get that much with a shovel around here. You need to educate them on the advantages of a reputable snow removal company, and get the job based on quality, dependability, etc., and not just low price.

11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

PINEISLAND, I'm in agreement with you on the $ - hopefully as SIMA grows, customers will become more aware of just what you said - quality, reliability etc being more important than just price alone - and look for snow service providers accordingly