1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Deadbeat Idea

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Mackman, May 5, 2012.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I was thinking about this. The other day i was in a parts store and on the wall they had a list of deadbeat customers that gave them bad checks or didnt pay their bill. I was thinking about maybe putting a thing on my website with a list of deadbeats. What do you think?? Good idea or bad??

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Very unprofessional and you open yourself up to defamation claims. I wouldn't do it.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed. In a sue happy society someone will no doubt lawyer up and cause you problems. Make a list for sure but keep it in you office.

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with post # 2 & 3

5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Yea i guess it is a bad idea. But i do like the idea. Just so their name is out there. I try at all cost to work with people. Payment plans etc. But the people the just out right dont pay really pisses me off. :mad:

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Lots of good ways to get money that's owed to you, this isn't one of them. Proper collections will do a lot more damage to their reputation without damaging yours. Thumbs Up

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

A wall of shame will never help the business as already stated. I would however consider (as a last resort) topping off their tank w/ what was in my tank...just before collections. Let them prove what's theirs & what isn't. So sorry, my pump broke.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You just need to find the right collection people & have it written the "right way" into your contracts.

9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

When I am at the gas station fueling up, I exchange "friendly fire" with others in the snow plowing business. We tell each other who is good and not so good pay.
    This goes on across all industries and occupations.