1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead short...need help fast!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by breadoflife, Nov 11, 2009.

1. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

Ok...heres the deal, we run a 1977 Chevy K-10 Shortbox 4X4, 7.5 Ft Meyer Straight Blade Plow, its got a 350 V8 paired to the TH350 Tranny. Well, couple weeks ago, we found that the tank switchover, the fuel gauge, the voltmeter, and the temp gauge were not working...i did some investigating, and found it appeared to be the switchover switch...replaced it(all of $18 new) and all was working until now, lasted about oh 1-2 weeks and today as i was going door to door, i found that my fuel gauge, voltmeter etc were in fact not working, once again. I looked at the fuse and again blown. i went to put another in and the short is so bad that it melted the fuse spade and lit it up as it was doing so like an arc welder, as soo as i shoved it in it went POP! so yea, back at square one again...already had the dash apart twice...when this had happened in was in the right hand tank position, so there was no power going to the swithing solienoid valve, so the problems not there...what all is on the gauges circuit, maybe im barking up the wrong tree all together.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a fun solution for finding shorts in electrical systems.

You may want to have an extinguisher close by or maybe even the FD.

Has worked for me on 2 trucks now, and they're both still in service.

3. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

whats that, take a 10AWG wire, crimp male spade terminals on there and plug er in? or what

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Another typical Mark O response!

I have a solution, but I'm not going to tell you what it is. :realmad:

I have a better way to plow, try and guess. :realmad:

My "straight" blades are better than your vee. No pics :realmad:

You must enjoy seeing us beg, huh?:laughing:

5. Mark Oomkes

/\ /\ /\

I gave you a hint, didn't I?

Wasn't sure how appropriate it was, didn't want to be blamed for someone burning their truck to the ground. :nod: :eek:

Sorta one of those "This should only be performed by trained professionals" type things. :laughing:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should take your own advice, and stay clear of the big jumper wires.....

7. Mark Oomkes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

8. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

i think mayeb 18gauge is a bit safer, but i dont wanna replace 50 feet of wire either after it burns up, besides, if it was just a chafed wire, instead of just being able to wrap it, now i would have to replace a HUGE section

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys use a 2 terminal signal light flasher too. Kind of like an automatic reset....

10. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

use a 12v bulb....when t goes out you found the short.......:drinkup:

11. Mark Oomkes

But fires are so much more exciting and get the heart pumping. :D

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How many flashing lights do you have on your truck?

13. Mark Oomkes

I like shiny things. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

14. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

wire d

hi. there should be a orange wire running down the frame rail going to gas tank .that may have shorted/melted cuzz of hot exhaust pipe and or usually this orange wire also goes through the metal pipe sleeve at the starter this pipe tube bolts at the startes and also has starter wires going inside it.Prone-known cause irrating short inside the pipe tube...reply is this helps...if this is of any help try chuckschevypages.com or colordok5.com have good day/