1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Ram

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by A&M Snowplowing, Jan 31, 2007.

1. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

my 96 Ram 2500 (5.9L 360) last night at about 4 this moring started to shutter but once i turned the truck off and back on it went away. then after qabout 10 mins the problem came back and when i went to hit the peddle there was nothing there but it would not de all the wa it would keep running. after i turned it off thhinking i may be able to restart it and limp it to the shop it would not even turn over. it would just keep cranking. does this sound like a fuel pump or what else could it be

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could be a couple of thing's.Fuel pump,crank sensor or ignition coil are the most common one's.You can do a little diagnosis to narrow it down though.If it's a high mileage truck and your suspecting the fuel pump died,turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump.Does it run for a few second's? If so then it's probably OK.If it isn't running take a rubber hammer and give the bottom of the gas tank a whack right in the center (not too hard though) If the pump now run's when you turn the key on, then replace the pump. If the pump's ok the next thing to check for is spark from the ignition. Pull a plug wire off a plug and stick a screw driver in the end of the wire,then lay the screw driver somewhere on the engine so that the metal part of the screw driver is about a 1/2 inch from a clean,bare metal object on the engine.Then crank the engine a see if you get a spark jumping from the screw driver to the metal component on the motor.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

5.9 Gasser or 5.9 CTD??

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

5.9L 360 = gas motor
    5.9L CTD = Cummins turbo diesel

Check fuel pump – Can starting fluid open butter fly and spray some in crank it it starts and runs for few seconds it is the fuel pump. You can also check fuel presser at the fuel rail if you have a gauge.

Crank sensor – this is the fun one to check- check the spark by pulling a wire off putting an old plug in (grab the Plug JUST JOKING) ground it crank it see if you see spark.

If no spark go to the front drivers side injector (has 2 wires) the wire with the trace stripe, take a test light probe it, crank it see if it has current.

If both test fail –the crank sensor is bad.(it is located on the back passengers side of the block and held in by 2 allen head screws

Check coil – if no spark but test light shows current at the injector. $9 go get a new one at advanced auto parts.

Pick up plate in the dist- sorry there is no easy test for this one.

If for some reason it put a code in the PCM pull the negative thermal for 30 minuets to reset the codes…. Or scan it and remove the code with the scanner…

5. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

My 97 Ram just did the same thing a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be the coil. It kept cranking, but wasn't getting any spark. The truck stalled right out of nowhere while driving down the highway.
    Of course the truck worked fine all the way up to then, and the second we are getting our first signifacant snow fall, it broke down that night.

6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Mine did that and it was bad contacts in the starter and they would hang up. I replaced the contacts and good as new.

7. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

well turned out ot be the fuel pump was shot for sure. also they told me i had a one inch hole in the fuel neck as well. the pump was about 500 somethin from dodge but the thing i dont get was the fuel neck. It was like 200 isnt that kinda high.

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I think i would have been off to local auto parts, picked up a rebuild kit for the pump for $150 and bradded core hyd line @ $4 a foot.

so yes that is verry high.