1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Dead" Plow

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by cobraman, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cobraman

cobraman Member

I have a MTD 7.5' plow and yesterday after coming home, I lowered it and decided I wanted to moved the truck and tried to raise the plow and nothing. The lights on the remote (wired) flash but no response from the plow. I hooked it up driectly to the plow and the same thing. I can hear clicking but no response from the plow. It was late so I just said *&^% it and came in for the night. Today, I slid it into the garage and same thing. I took the cover off and everything looks fine. All the connections look clean, fluid is full. I push the button on the remote and I get a few clicks and then a hissing sound and that is it. This is my first year of plowing so I know nothing about working on these things. I guess I should have learned more before winter. Have I dug myself into a money pit?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try jumping the 12 volt motor solenoid

3. cobraman

cobraman Member

Like I said. I am a dummy with this. What do you mean jumping it. I put a meter on it and there is 12.6 volts coming to the left side top which looks to me like the input side and 0 volts to the left side which goes to the motor. I didn't have 3 hands to press the button on the control.

I have the plow sitting on the ground in the garage right now and when I pull the truck up and hook power to it I can hear a click. When I first press a button on the controller I hear a few clicks and then a faint whirring or hissing sound. (motor trying to start or air escaping I can't tell I'm a rookie) Up/Down Left/Right same deal. I thought maybe not enough juice but I checked my battery and it was at 12 1/2 volts and the same at the solenoid. I just hosed off the plow yesterday to get all the salt off of it. Could that have done something? It was dry in the box when I took the top off.

If someone wants to call me to give me more info, PM me and I'll give you my cellie.:nod:

4. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

The solenoid is a common part that goes bad. To "jump" it you would lay a screwdriver accross the 2 posts to give power to the other side, then try your controll. If it works replace the solenoid.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Then perhaps you should take it to a dealer who understands what he's looking for. Could be money well spent.

6. cobraman

cobraman Member

I was reading other posts where people were talking about running cables from their battery to the motor and to the solenoid. So I was confused as to what was meant by jumping the solenoid. After BayStateGlen explained to me what it was, I went out and tried it and the motor fired right up so I know I need a $25 to $35 part instead of an $85 (at least) an hour trip to the dealer. I'm on here to learn and I did today. Thanks guys.

The new SnoWay dealer here in Rockford doesn't have a Snoway solenoid but has a Boss or a Western so I am going to go look at those tomorrow and see if one of those will fit. More snow coming this weekend and I need to make some money although I still need accounts.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Western or Boss either one will work.