1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oman1999, Dec 2, 2006.

1. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Well. Here in the northern-most IL, North of Rockford. The death toll is staggaring.

99 Dodge 2500 Cummins 8'6" Western: Broken rear driveshaft, u-joint went and broke the ear off the shaft.

81 GMC 3/4 Ton 8' Western: Broken front-brake hard-line. Fuel guage crapped out (twice leaving a plower stranded out of fuel).

91 Chevy 1 Ton Dually 9' Western and 8' Daniels Puller: Transfer case locked in 2WD. 4 Broken hoses on the front plow in less than 10 hours. Crappy Farm & Fleet hoses.

2003 F350 6.0L PS Superduty 8' Snowway Snow wolf, 8' Daniel's pull plow: Bad diodes on a brand new front plow, fluid leak on the pull plow, electrical issues.

All this equipment was tested and worked flawlessly on monday this week. Isn't plowing fun. Not sure how the subs did but we are still plowing. I'm punching out invoices and manning the phones after 40 hours with no sleep. Gonna catch 4 hours and head back out. Have to fix a couple little problems with the Ford and head back out at 12am. It's 6:40pm now.
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That sucks!! But thats how it goes in a big storm. You get all the equipement ready and one by one they fall off. Then when its done you have to get all of it back up running before the next one. We now run mostly newer equipement (2000 and newer) and it still happens
  3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

I know the feeling. All our machines, trucks, plows, bobcats etc... all keep breaking. Here in Alberta, it's been snowing nonstop since Oct. 28. One hell of a November. Every 2nd or 3rd day. It takes us 2 to 5 days after a storm to do sidewalks, driveways and then parking lots. Phew... I know what you're going trough... hang in there :D
  4. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

No the feeling as well. We are a little better off though.
    One truck problem and that was a broken hydraulic line on the plow when we stopped on Friday night. Got that fixed in about 30 minutes.

Our problem has been with salters. The big one went down, broken belt. My brand new Tornado was involved in an accident three hours into our storm. It is trashed; not fixable. My smallest one, the tailgate mount, worked until yesterday afternoon when a rock got jammed in the auger on it.

I am not the only one around here with problems though. Lot of guys stuck and problems. That is what happens with 13" of snow.
  5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Fun time. F350's snoway Lobo plow got caught on a snow bank when a soccer mom ran my boss off the road. Ripped the plow off the truck. Took me 6 hours to get everything straightened, welded and repaired. Even had to weld a trip spring bolt....then later the other non-welded bolt broke.

IMHO the Snoway LOBO v-plow is a POS. Don't waste your money. Get a boss plow and a pull-plow, you'll be much happier.

BTW. A 2wd ford ranger with limited slip rear, 4.0L motor and roadmaster suspension system works great for a 350 lb snowex salter. I put a pony battery on the passenger floorboard. Loaded 1000 lbs of salt in the back and filled the hopper before I left. No problems at all. Salted 20 condos in complete comfort. truck is small enough to drive up on the sidewalks. 4 wd would be better but it worked really well. 6 hours of salting then another 12 of plowing and cleaning loading docks etc. Trim work as we call it.
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

you never know what gonna go wrong and i dont know about you but we can afford to have a truck go down on us we just have too much sorry to hear about it hope everything gets fixed quick
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Naperville IL Death toll :cry: last storm

1986 F-250 Break Line went out mid storm
    1996 F-250 Alternator went out to day doing clean ups
    Ford Bronco Clutch went Mid storm
    Skid steer lost all hydraulics mid storm

That is four dead out of 6