1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Cat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mebes, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Anybody know why a 228 hi flow Skid loader would loose all functions?

I was coming into a pile to stack snow, and as I hit the pile and started to lift the bucket the controls went dead.

I thought that I blew a hose, but the hydro system is still full.

Its almost like when you try to run the machine without taking it out of park.

Reverse alarm still works, bucket down and tilt down still work.
    Bucket will not raise and drive does not work.

This is a newer machine maybe a 2001 or 2002 with the joystick controls.
    Anybody got a schematic?
    Thanks

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you may have knocked a plug loose somewhere. not sure exactly how a cat runs its electrical though.

3. Cat

There is a switch located under the seat that will disable the control functions of the skid steer. Also there is another disable switch located in the front door and arm rest. Maybe on of these switches is malfunctioning???

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I was just looking at some of my old posts and found this one.
    I never updated it with the answer.
    I hate it when I am searching for a solution to a problem, and I find a thread that matches my problem exactly with no solution.

So here it is.

The Caterpillar 228 hi flow skid steer had a broken pump coupler.
    Looking at the service records for this Skid indicated this was the third time on this machine.

The owner of this skid recently purchased a used (bigger model) one to replace the older one (228) and the same thing happened to that one as well.

The way to tell if you have a broken coupler is that the Pilot controls work only in the down positions (because of gravity), and the radiator cooling fan stops spinning. (driven directly by hydro pump flow)

FYI
    S