1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Beat Out Of State Owner

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by DOGHOUSE, Jan 2, 2006.

1. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

Hey Guys,
    Just A Little Situation I Have That I Need A Little Advice On.
    I Plowed A B&b Here In Alaska At The Request Of An Off-season Renter. ( Which I Didn't Know ) And Also Found Out The Owner Lives In California. The Renter Gave Me The Address Of The Owner So I Sent Out The Billing With A Seasonal Contract. 2 Times The Letter Came Back " Return To Sender ". So I Went Back To The Renter And Wanted The Owners Phone # Got It And Have Left 5 Or So Messeges For Her With No Return Call. Guys, Give Me A Hand And Let Me Know What You Would Do. I Was Going To Send A Certified Letter To The B&b Address And To The Cali. One As Well. Now The Ticket Is 30 Days Past Due So I Was Going To Take A 10% Late On It.

Thanks For Your Wisdom,
    Dave

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Apparently the renter hired you, the renter owes you. The owner didn't seem to have anything to do with it. I've rented enough in the past and have always had to pay contractors who do work for me.

3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Why not try to get the (out of season) renter to pay you out of this months rent, they hired you, and then have them attach a note along with the remainder and send it to the owner explaining why the difference !!!! Where in Ak are you ??:cool:

4. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I believe you are billing the wrong person. If the owner didn't hire you, he doesn't owe you. Collect from the renter that asked you to do the job.

5. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

When ever I rented I was responsible for the snow unless otherwise stated in the rental agreement. So I could hire someone or get out the shovel. Bill the renter.

6. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I agree with the others, the owner didn't contract your services and therefore is not responsible financially, so you need to take it up with the renter who actually hired you.

7. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

Ok Guys Then That's What I'll Do.,and Thanks For All The Good Advice.
    Hey Kingriver I'm Done Here In Homer, Where You At???