1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by B&E snowplowing, Feb 19, 2011.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

My 1994 Suburban seems to be giving me some trouble....

All of a sudden it has decided that it needs a boost to start after it has been sitting for more then 6 to 8 hours.

Once I give it a boost it runs fine, the gauge is reading 14 volts, and everything works fine. I go out to plow drop the blade and after I use the plow 2 times, on the 3rd time the battery light comes on and the truck stalls. At that point I have to boost the truck and start all over.

Think its time for a new alternator ??? my current alternator is only a year and a half old, and the battery is brand new this year and still under warranty.

I have a Meyer E57 pump, with a BRAND new motor.

Totally lost. I went out today and bought a rechargeable booster pack, so I don't have to wait for a boost anymore in the middle of the night.

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

May have a bad cell in the battery,go get it tested first.

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sounds like a junk battery. time for a new one.

4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Dont forget to check your battery connections too.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a bad battery, alternator is probably fine.

6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Check connections and then test battery. Sounds to me like a bad connection though. It wont start due to the bad connection but it is starting off the booster cables. Once running it is running off the alternator and that just wont run the truck and the plow too. Gotta have that battery.

7. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Could be a bad battery. I had a sears battery go bad on me after about 8 months, so don't rule it out. If you haven't beefed up the alternator, it might not be a bad idea. Definitely check your connections before you go buying parts.

As far as it not starting after 6 - 8 hours, I had the same problem and it turned out to be a parasitic drain. I still haven't found it... just installed a quick disconnect battery terminal. I'll get to it... eventually.