1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead battery in 03 2500HD after sitting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RSheaLand, Feb 18, 2006.

1. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

Had a problem with battery going dead in my 03 2500HD when it would sit between storms. First put in new battery but had the same problem a month later. Dealership spent hours checking wires for a draw and finally traced a wire up under the dash that lead to that push button to the left of the passanger side air bag switch. Them they found a TSB regarding the switch. Apparently the switch is hot wired to connect a strobe light to but when nothing is connected to it and the switch is on it causes a draw. It doesnt light up so you dont know when it is on. The solution is to disconnect the switch. It was driving me nuts going to the shop before a storm and finding a dead battery. The great guys at the dealership took ther time and got it solved.
  2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Had the same problem in my fathers 03 duramax... also turned out that the alternator was shot. Diesels are a pain when the electrical systems crap out!!!

3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Yea, that switch operates a relay. The indicator light will light, and the relay will activate, if the button is pushed with the truck running. What is wierd is; the relay will activate but the indicator will not light if the button is pushed with the truck off.