1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Battery From Plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by k1768, Dec 24, 2005.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Had my new Boss installed on my 03 Ram 1500 last Thursday.
    Truck sat with plow hooked up until today.
    First sign of trouble was when keyless entry wouldnt respond.
    Battery was DEAD. No interior lights, no odometer display, no nothing.

Could the plow have caused this some how?
    Some small drain from something?

Controller was off.
    Light switch was in plow mode. (lights were NOT on though)

Jumped the truck w/ my van and all was fine.

No previous battery problems with truck.
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

My guess would be that the installer "may" have tapped into a constant power source while wiring your truck, this would cause a current draw as this energizes the relays for the lights and controller.
    Is an easy hook up mistake and if it was the case should only take a short time to correct.
    :rolleyes: John...
  3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

So the relays would be energized the entire time, regardless of state of controller?
  4. Garagekeeper

Only one relay would be energized if the plow light switch was off and the relay switching wire was hooked up to an always hot connection.
    Quick test, with the Boss headlight switch in the plow light position turn the headlights on.. do the plow lights go on? The plow lights should only operate with the ign turned on.
    Your truck lights should only operate if the key is off and then switch to plow lights when the ign is turned on.
    If so then it is wired correctly.
    One relay on shouldn't drain your battery that's for sure, everything plow related is out of the circuit when the key is off if hooked up correctly.
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't know about Boss, but you could check your spacers to the battery. That could always make a small draw.
  6. Sod God 1

Sod God 1 Junior Member

Question & Reply

Q: Were you using the plow after installation or before letting the truck sit over night?

R: If so without a proper alternator and battery, and doing short pushings and not higher speed driving (over 25 mph). The battery wouldn't have time to recharge.

I have a yellow top GEL Optima battery and a high output alternator (bigger than stock) and still have the problem of not enough charge going to the battery, do to doing alot of pushing and back dragging in parking lots with short distances of driving with raising and exstending the wings on the plow. If I don't let the truck idel for about 15 Mins after about 1 1/2 hrs of plowing the truck will die. If this is the case let the truck idel allowing your transmission to cool and to let the battery recharge. Let me know what is up, with more details to give you any info as possible.
  7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the replies.

Garagekeeper: I will try that test this weekend. I'm also going to call the dealer. I need to get back for the shoes anyway.

First Time Out: Not sure what are are referring to by battery spacers?

Sod God 1: I havent had a chance to use the plow at all yet. Two snows before I got the plow, 40 degree weather and plenty of rain since. It was a 20-30 min drive home from the dealer, then the truck was parked and left for the week.

I have a different vehicle for work, my truck is for "home work" and play. So it is not uncommon for it to sit for a week or longer.
  8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Plow connected; Boss switch in plow position; truck ignition off; headlights on = plow lights & truck parking lights on.
  9. Garagekeeper

Plow lights should be off if the ign is off too, only the truck headlights should come on if you turn the lights on with the ign off.
    I bet your controller turns on with the ign off too.
    I think they slipped up and wired the connector for the plow under the dash to a constant power source.
  10. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Controller & hydo on smart hitch tower all work w/ truck ignition off.
  11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Well, I finally had a chance to take truck/plow in last weekend.
    Was told straight out the installer tapped the wrong line because the plow should have no functionality with ignition off. Still seemed a little odd that it completely drained the battery, but I can accept that the solenoids are big enough to do so. Assuming that since he tapped the wrong line they were constantly energized.

So they re-tapped the line on Saturday, truck has sat since, and battery is still good.

On a related note, I was lucky/smart enough to take a quick look under the hood when I picked my truck up. I was looking for a bad splice or tape job. Instead I found a pair of cutters sitting on top of my battery.

Needless to say, the odds of that shop touching my truck again are not very high.

Again, thanks for the responses.

One question remains.....................

WHERE'S THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Maybe you need a new HD battery since yours is 3 yrs old and stock light duty.
  13. i had the same problem with mine then i had went to a hevier duty battery and never had a problem starting the truck since.
  14. ClaytonR

ClaytonR Member

i had

i had the same problems...truck would not start when not used everyday...took it to the chevy dealership and they replaced the battery and then showed me that the Boss installer HOTLINED my power to the plow...it was always on even when the plow was off the truck and the controler was not hooked in....i now just remove the 1st big square fuse and pull the little 15v fuse out when the plow is not in use...everything is fine...but check that hot lead...make sure it goes into the fuse box inside the truck..cuz mine does not... :mad: