1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dead 1996 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by paradise1229, Dec 13, 2010.

1. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

I didn't plug it in.

Batteries (has 2) are low and not enough juice to turn over. Tried jumping it with the other truck. Some improvement in power but when I cycle the glow plugs takes away some power needed to start.

What should I do?
    Can it be plugged in and charging?
    Charge both batteries after the other or leave charger on 1 battery?
  2. tjslider

tjslider Member

Plug it in and charge it!
    Has happened in our tow rig before.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Why are the batteries weak? Aren't they like not even 2 years old?

Make sure the glow plugs are actually turning on, check the glow plug relay, see that it has power coming through the other side when they're on. That truck should still easily start in these temps, I cycle my plugs twice and mine will start up with out a problem.
  4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

you can plug it in and charge the batteries at the same time.

Most likely your booster cables are to small to allow enough amps to boost your diesel. The cables need to be very heavy duty with heavy clamps (400 amps or more).
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

put a charger on the passenger side battery, 40 amp charge for at least 2 hours, and plug it in.
  6. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

How long were you cranking? If you didnt crank more than 3-4 times, then Id say you'll be needing new batteries soon too.

Plug it in, AND charge the PASSENGER side battery.
  7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

whenever I had to jump diesels in the past, I would use my plug in type cables, and would then pop the hood and run a conventional type jumper between the other batteries.

it will take quite a bit longer than normal to charge batteries to a point where they will start a diesel
  8. paradise1229

Batteries are about yrs. old. I plugged in the truck and charger. When I would start it it really draws down those batteries. Draws too much off the charger to run both. So I ran the charger on it for 2 hrs and plugged it in for the night. Time to go see what happened. I am hoping it starts right up after plugging in the truck all night.

My extention cord I had to run is 200-250'. I have no choice where I live!:realmad::realmad::realmad:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. weareweird69

Sounds like you need new batteries. My powerstroke started no problem in 0* weather today without being plugged in.
  10. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

that long extension cord is killing you as well.Ive slow charged cars on 100 foot cords before and it takes 4 or 5 hours on 40 amp and the car barely turns over.put it on no extension cord and 40 amps for a few minutes and it fires right up.not saying that is your pproblem but it clearly is not helping either. good luck
  11. weareweird69

I think he doesn't have a choice. Anyway to get atruck and good set of jumpers to it? If you can. Let the other truck charge it for a little bit. I know your pain. My truck died two years ago on this weather and it was a little* **** to get started
  12. paradise1229

He's right. I don't have a choice on where to park. If I park on lawn/road PD will ticket me. I will not pay those frivilous tickets. They can take it out of my taxes I pay!

It started right up after cycling glow plugs 3X!

Batteries are about 2yrs old (sorry for that) from no one it's getting plugged in.

When I have more $$$ I'm getting bew glow plugs put in! Still has those original ones in there KC2006.
  13. paradise1229

I borrowed my dads' charger. It has 6v fast, 6v boost, 12 fast and 12v boost. I used 12v fast

anyone use those trickle chargers? I was thinking about plugging it in when I plug the truck in to keep batteries up. (extra insurance)
  14. weareweird69

When you do the glow plugs. Use only motorcraft ones!!!!! Also replace the glow plug relay with a stancor unit. Search google for "powerstroke stancor" and you should be able to get the exact part number for the relay. You'll never have a problem starting in the cold. I run diehard p-4 batteries in my powerstroke and I like them. Like I said it starts every time
  15. paradise1229

It has a brand new relay in it. I have those high-end Autozone batteries. (2 or 3 year warranty 84 mos. pro rated) I'll have to check those batteries out when it's time to replace them.

I was considering those expensive Optima Bateries too. I think they are worth the price.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you can hook a battery maintainer up to the passenger side battery and mount it in the truck. then put a surge protector power strip under the hood with the wire going out through grill plug the block heater and battery maintainer into the power strip. then when you plug the truck in at night, you both charge the batteries, and keep the block warm.
    i use one like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Batt...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    another one i use is a solar battery charger like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-Watt-Solar-...508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b5919164
    i usually get the solar units from harbor freight for $19.99 : http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-44768.html
  17. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Charles, get a heavier duty extention cord if you have to run it that far. even if you have to make it. there is so much resistance in that lang of a strech with a standard cord that you are loosing alot of the power through it. got to an electrical supply store and tell them what you are doing and they will set you up.
  18. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

From my expierence with them they work great when you only need a little bit of juice to get it started but when the batteries are really low or completely dead there of little to no use.
  19. paradise1229

It's great use! It's a professional model. Band new 200.00 When he bought it, It was a top of the line pro model. or somethng like that! That thing is my go-to charger.
  20. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I run one of these under each battery. Works wonders

Wire it to a three stud terminal board. Then when plugged in the engine and the batteries are warm. Cold batteries will lose half of their power at 0 F.

The stancor relay is a 200A relay. It wont really aid in starting really, they just last a lot longer than the cheapies!

Always check the cord on the block heater. They tend to fail. Oreiley auto parts for $17. Plug and play. Cheap insurance too.:nod: