1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

De-Icing (Sand vs Salt) Research Links

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by North Country, Jan 14, 2004.

1. North Country

North Country Senior Member

We have been doing some research on the age old Salt vs Sand debate.

(Please keep in mind that different salt/sand treatments or use of straight liquids is a completely different discussion; this research is Sand/ Salt information. Thanks! mm)

North Country wanted to provide the highest level of customer service while continuing to be highly efficient and profitable.

After reading quite a bit of information without question, Salt seems to be the way to go unless applying on gravel or if you expect to have snow pack conditions for extended periods of time, then Sand or Sand/Salt would be the correct material. (If the Salt Institute agrees with certain Sand applications, I would have to concur with their findings.)

I just wanted to post a couple of links to what seems to be an important topic to many. I hope it helps in some way. - michael
    <center>
    Salt Institute - Sand/ Salt search results

SHOULD SAND BE PART OF YOUR SNOWFIGHTING ARSENAL?

THE USE OF ABRASIVES IN WINTER MAINTENANCE - Iowa Highway Research Board

Pros and Cons of Sand on Ice and Snowpack </center>