1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

De-Icing Methods: I need to do something different

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by millenniumland, May 19, 2004.

1. millenniumland

millenniumland Junior Member

Can anyone help me,

I need to do something different than what I've done in the last years. I subcontract my salting through a reputable company, but have had so many complaints about the amount of salt being put down and the burned areas next to roadways and drives. I am looking for a way to either do it myself, and use an icemelter rather than rock salt or using a liquid de-icer. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am open to anything, I just want to make my customers happy.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. capital

capital Senior Member

Suggest you switch to using a combination of both liquids and grannular. We pre treat our parking lots with a liquied brine that we make and then either use brine at the end of the event or use grannular salt or calcium. Suggest you research what your clients needs are then begin determining the most cost effective approach to meet their needs and for you to earn extra money by retaining the de icing requirements in house. We sub out work to plow trucks and sidewalk crews but retain all salt / sanding / pre spray in house and find are returns are higher on invested equipment. We are now moving to have less plow trucks and more de icing crews.

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Going with a treated product like Magic will help, but will not totally eliminate the problems. Its nice to be able to use less product and get the same results though.

The customers in MI have had two back to back winters with many small snow events, which needed treating with salt instead of plowing, and many daytime events here that required salting. In addition to this, it has been two very cold winters, which required a little more salt per app to cut the snow in an acceptable time frame.

5. hydroturf

hydroturf Junior Member

try spreading the magic before the storm - it will cut down on 2-3" of accumulation.