1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

De-icing in Chinook Country

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CHINOOK SNOWMAN, Nov 23, 2003.

1. CHINOOK SNOWMAN

CHINOOK SNOWMAN Junior Member

I am a new member from the Calgary area in Canada. I was wondering if there are any members from my area, that are using ice control procucts in the stupid climate we have here. Yesterdays high temp. was -20C about -15F today will be around frezzing tomorrow cold again. Chinook winds are nice in the dead of winter but make it hard to control ice with the freeze and thaw cycles. We have never used ice control products since we started in the business in 97 but all my lots and streets are skating rinks. Is there anyone in my area that uses any ice control products and where do they buy them in bulk. The only thing that we have used in the past is sanding chips coated with salt to keep from freezeing which we buy from a local yard in bulk. We are not set up for spreading so I am willing to look at all options including liquid. Anybody else out there that has the same problem with Chinooks.

2. gardenpro

gardenpro Junior Member
    from WA

We have a very different climate here, and I spread by the 50lb bag. But "Great White" says it works up to -20c. Hopefully that helps.