1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

De-Icers!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by anthonyr, Dec 8, 2006.

1. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

Ok, I have a stupid question again for all you more experienced plow jockeys... I have some accounts that I picked up this year that have stamped concrete, tile, and paver driveways. I only use a snow blower and a shovel because any metal will scratch and nick their beautiful driveways. I rigged my blower with plastic edging, so I don't scratch the tiles, pavers,...etc. The customers have been contacting me lately requesting ice mgmt., or basically asking me to find a product that wont deteriorate, corrode, or ruin the drive and walk ways. They definitely don't want salt applied. Any suggestions out there??? Has anyone run into this problem, if so, what did you use?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:help:

2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

No such critter!

ALL deicers will have a deleterious effect on concrete/masonry. No way around it. Excessive application accelerates deterioration.

Inform your customer that concrete/masonry lifespan is adversely effected by any deicer, but that professional application will help to preserve usable life of these surfaces.

3. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

R.R., If you were to choose the lesser of 2 evils, what would you use to de-ice the driveways? Thanks for the help

4. Rampart Ranger

Magnesium Chloride applied in a calculated rate on a well sealed surface.

There has been an incredible amount of research/testing on this product. Suppliers have bent over backwards to meet the requirements of DOTs accross the country - but it is not perfect!

A lot depends on proper sealing of concrete, and knowledgable application of product.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  5. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

all of these properties are sealed. Not sure how well, but they are high end homes. I can do some research and find out who did the work, etc... Where would I begin to find magnesium chloride for commercial use? Assuming I could even get it.

6. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

also, have you heard of calcium magnesium acetate or C.M.A.? commercial uses? I have been reading about it, but from what I can tell, just the D.O.T. uses it.

7. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

beet juice!

8. kingplow

kingplow Member

put a little sand down that dont hurt anything except who ever has to sweep it off after the season is up

9. Rampart Ranger

THAT may be the best option. Any chemical deicer will likely discolor colored concrete or tiles, and will certainly leave a residue.