1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

De-icer clogging problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Shades2004, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Shades2004

Shades2004 Junior Member

I am new to liquid de-icing (just got everything delivered on 1/23/09). I purchased well brine from a local supplier at 26%. I attempted to pre-treat this morning to get some experience and found my screen kept clogging with a gritty yogurt like consistency mixture. I am bottom filling (filled) my tank from a 3000 gal storage tank. How can I avoid this I can not contact the supplier for help as they are closed on weekends. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Shades
    Did you buy your liquid from a guy downriver? I bought some from a friend and he is having the same problem. He has a 5000 gallon storage tank and is having the same issue. He is going to add a big filter to his storage tank to see if that helps. I would guess that you have a filter on your deicer?

Good Luck Mike

3. Shades2004

Shades2004 Junior Member

No, supplier in lapeer. I think the filter is a definite at this point.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

First i would think a new supplier is in order. My supplier answers his phone most all the time. I called last night at 10:00pm thinking im going to leave him a message and he answered. He was on vacation this weekend and still answered!!! Told me i would have a delivery this weekend still.
    Second you need to get with someone that has a better product.

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

change your inlet/out let

i assume your talking about the your storage tank. and refilling from that to another tank

raise up your outlet pipe maybe 16 inches? this way the settiment is at the bottom,

whats your filter set up? a screen in the tank? maybe , try removing that , and look for some type of "in line" screen that could be changed and cleaned really easy

6. Shades2004

Shades2004 Junior Member

The screen on the unit is external and was completely clogged after 150 gallons applied. Will be cleaning filter after filling until I can raise the outlet pipe when the tank gets down low. Thanks for the advice.

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

is this on a truck or your storage tank? you said after it was applied?

8. Shades2004

Shades2004 Junior Member

No the filter is on the truck.

9. turboguy

turboguy Member

Without much to go on about your unit, one thing you might check is the mesh size of the filter on your unit. If it is a very fine mesh changing to a larger mesh might solve your problem.

10. Shades2004

Shades2004 Junior Member

Thanks that is an option that I hadn't thought of,

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

You could circulate foe a awhile before filling your truck tank. We used a 3"trash pump for faster fills and for circulating the sediment, wasn't brine, we used magic, but still. We would pull from the bottom and run into the opening in the top of the tank, ran that way for about 2hrs in the beginning of the season and we were good. I'm sure the same idea for less time would help you out. Well I'm not sure but it does seem reasonable.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

circulating might "stir up the pot ...just something to keep in mind

i would first try to leave the the sediment at your storage tank , rather than in your truck tank....possibly filter that , or creat a "trap" on the pipe

baffolds in your truck might help and do some good. if there is sediment in your truck tank, you could figure that its going to get mixed up pretty well, some type of baffold system might keep the sediment the tank... but that might require cleaning at some point

are you draining your tank after useage? ..just a thought

id check about using a different supplier as superior said

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Try a higher mesh filter as said above. You are using very large nozzles and you can run with a very course filter. On our field sprayers we have different mesh filters to match nozzle output. The other thing you can do is put a filter on your storage tank to take the bigger chunks out and then have a smaller mesh filter on you application tank.

15. gvsu119

gvsu119 Junior Member

We just ran into the same problem. So I put a strainer on our storage tank and it's been working fine since.

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

i bet if youd raiser your output pipe of your storage tank up , 16 inches , plus that strainer, ud completely eliminate the problem . Personally i would do as much as you can

it really sucks when you need to use it , and it doesnt work in the feild. id maybe consider all of the solutions here listed be everyone. Its not like most of these are going to cost any major type of money, or require more than a few hours to change