1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

de/anti ice in a watershed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ddb maine, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I've searched a bit but I'm either not applying the correct keywords or I'm not looking hard enough. I had a potential customer come to me. Its on the same street where I do 90% of my plowing. It is lake front property and there driveway is an easy 10' drop over 100'. The driveway hooks to the right and their front door is dead ahead. So ice control is a bit of a concern. I am wondering if anyone has any info on a product that can be used in a watershed. Every house out here has a well, so if I am able to find a solution I may have more than just one customer. Currently I sand when people need it but we do get frequent ice storms. Thanks and if I've stupidly missed an obvious thread just point me in that direction.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I wonder if you can apply a buffer zone of Gypsum off the driveways where the water runs off.

Gypsum is a salt neutralizer that is PH neutral, and is generally cheap.

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

good idea to look into. I have just read a document from 2002 regarding a NY watershed and their findings show that Sand had a significant phosphorus impact on watersheds.... I'm going to just call the DEP directly. I'll post my findings.

4. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Well. The gentleman to talk to is not available until friday. He's the one who's most up to date but this guy is saying calcium acetate. supposedly its a bit expensive.

5. White Gardens

What about using a liquid organic product such as potato or beet juice.

6. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I will need to do some reading on the potato and beet juice thing. But currently I'm spinning the option of getting straight cma and making a liquid out of it to pretreat. I'm also contemplating testing a mix of sand with it possibly 20-cma/80-sand. Anyone have this experience. I've been talking to a scientist at the university of maine, along with some dot guys and people at DEP, and department of drinking water.( if thats the correct name.)

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you looked into Magic Salt?Govt's all over use it as it's enviromentally safe and I'm sure they de-ice in some watershed areas.

8. White Gardens

Magic salt as far as I can tell from my reading is a just regular rock salt treated with an organic product such as Beet or Potato extract. If I recall I think it's actually potato extract from the spoils of making vodka, and magic salt sells just a strait liquid product.

I would think if you are going 100% organic then you would probably need to go liquid.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  9. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I can get cma in granular. White you are correct. These magic salt- landscapers choice etc are chloride based. The chloride is the problem it doesn't bind well so it's fast to hit groundwater. Cma binds eaily and therefore it's difficult to make it ground water. Most are5-20% cma. It's almost pointless to waste
    the money on them. Yes it's a slightly less impact but I'm still facing the issues as before. Straight cma seems to be my option.