1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DDM Tuning HID's in plow lights??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by H&HPropertyMait, Dec 13, 2011.

1. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Anyone run the DDM tuning HID's? or what HID's do you guys use?
    Are they worth it??
    Throw some pictures up.

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribing, wonder if you could fit them in the Boss lights? I have them in my truck and have thought about putting them in the plow but havent really looked into it much..

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Just use your truck lights, so much easier.

4. H&HPropertyMait

Yeah, i'm wondering what it would take to get them into the smartlight 2...

5. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i just them in my western unimount, got a set of sealed beam conversions, and a set of 55w 8k hids from ddm, took a little working but got it all hooked up and working great, super bright much better than stock

6. H&HPropertyMait

How much did all that run you, if you don't mind?

7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Did you get the dual beam (hi/lo) or the single?

8. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

9. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I installed ddm HIDS in my Boss lights, low beam (35watt 6K) be sure to buy SLIM Ballast. I plan to install the bright light kit in this winter "if it ever snows" I also have HIDS on my truck but I prefer the plow lights for some reason....I'll try and get some picks up

10. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

if you guys do this make sure you get as close to 4300k as you can that will give you the most light and it will not glare off the snow as bad. this is what i am doing in my lights. they are projectors from a Toyota camery. and they will have 4300k 35w hids in them.

www.hidplanet.com

11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Quick thread hijacking....

I have been thinking about putting HIDs in my lightbar for rear work lights (MX7000) and I looked at using 5000k because supposedly thats the closest to sunlight? I'm new to HIDs, just been looking at places like DDM and eBay so far... would 4300k be better for what I'm doing? I can't imagine 5000k is too far off from 4300k

12. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

13. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

14. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I orderd the DDM HID kit for my 2011 F350 for the head lights and the driving lights in the bumper. I went with the 55 watt 6000 in both. H13 (high and low beam) for the headlights and H10 for lower driving lights. Headlights came in today (at least 2 weeks from China, didnt know that when I ordered) Hoping driving lights come in tomorrow. Balasts are large and thick, no instructions what so ever just wires and plugs and apparently it looks like I have to hook up to the battery as well as the plug for the lights (didnt know that either) If rain stops I'll try installing tomorrow. If they work like I hope, next I will do the Plow Lights on the Jeep (Fisher LD 6'-9"). Head lights on the Jeep I had done already by a friend. with the DDM kits. Very nice on the Jeep

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

im about to put these in a 2010 chevy truck

we are doing 35 watt in fog, low head, and plow....and 55 in high beam

i think you may need the resistors to make the iso box act normally...im ordering them in case....for truck and plow...

16. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

That's why I pre plow my lots so I don't have to worry about glare off of any snow. :D

17. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i cant remeber exactly but i think it was around 90-100 bux...got it all from DDM,when i hook the plow back up ill take some pictures

18. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

HId's

I have been running 8000K 35w hids in all my vehicles and they work great. the only problem i had was i had a 55w set in my fog lights and they melted the housings. i changed them to 35w and have no problems at all. the 8000k bulbs have a hint of blue whivh makes all the street signs just out at youjust likt the piaa ion crystal bulbs. Love the hids and i will nevver go back to regular bulbs. in my opinion you will only need the 35w ballasts and its not worth the extra money for the 55w when you will not notice the difference in light output. Also one major important factor that you need to make sure you re postion or adjust you headlights since you will blind oncoming cars. the glare from snow and ice is the same as running any after market driving lights and you will just get used to it. Hope this helps.

when installing the light kit make sure you have the postive wire on the right side of the ballast or you will burn out the ballast the minute you turn the lights on.

19. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

hers mine in my wide out. on straight blades you will need to add a power wire direct from the battery [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

iv done about 10 superdutys so heres directions for ya. open your tailgate so you have a place to put parts then start by remove your grill 4 screws on top then a long flat screwdriver you will see 5 silver clips down the bottom of the grill in the plastic rad support if you pull the grill away a bit "they are hard to find the first time i broke 2' no biggie tho from there remove your headlights 1 screw on top one on bottom 2 on the side lay out the harness acrossed the top of the grill mount " it sould only plug into the factory harness on one side make that side the passengers side" plug into the factory harness i always put a zip tie around the plug so i cant come undone. next run the red wire with the fuze to the battery connect it to + then move to the black wire with the ring termmal that is the ground there is on on each side be sure to clean the paint off and use a self taper to send it home to a spot u pick on the body cover the the ground with some grease so it wont rust. the rest is just plug and play from here some zip ties to make everything nice test to make sure they work then reinstall the headlight and grill and enjoy. if you are doing your foglights to it will make your life easyer if you do it all one shot with the headlights removed. if you need any help feel free to give me a call ill walk you threw it 732 710 5146 Bryan