1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DDM HID relay harness

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cameo89, Dec 18, 2011.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Has anyone used or installed a HID relay harness? I been having a problem with one of my HIDs turning on and going out shortly after the ballast warms up, so I sent it back for repair/return and they sent me a new one and its doing the same thing, I already have the relay harness from when I ordered last yr.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

I don't have experience with automotive HIDs but my experience in commercial lighting would tell me that you either have a ballast of lamp problem.
    Try switching the lamps and see what happens. If the lamp from the good side goes out on the bad side, It's your ballast. If the lamp that keeps going out quits on the working side, It's your lamp.
  3. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

so I hooked up the relay harness and it didnt change anything, so I swaped ballast from one side to the other and I have a bad ballast, I guess Ill call ddm tomorrow so I can ship it back for a new replacment.
  4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I run retro solutions HID's and i use a relay harness on both my fogs and headlights. I have heard of the issue of one dying out if you dont run the harness. Just my thoughts im no expert
  5. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

because you have an obs Chevy you NEED a relay harness as the truck has no factory relay for the headlights. It all runs trough the switch and you get a big voltage drop to the lights causing the ballasts to fail. also if you use the ddm harness make sure you seal all the connectors good with silicone. i used that harness and it failed in less then a year causing the headlights to not shut off. and ran my battery down. also if you have not already done so do the high-4 mod so you do not mess up your ballasts when you use your high beams.