1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dd & tornado spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 4evergreenlawns, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

DD has really hit a homerun with the Tornado line.

I purchased a 1st run 1st Generation Tornado 1.25yrd the season it was realased. My cost cash and carry at the time $2,600.00 last season you could not find them for less than $3,800.00 Although many people had serious issues with the unit I keep ahead of the curve and saw very few. The second season DD released an retro-fit and I was at the front of the line for that and I have a second season of mostly trouble free service out of that unit. Now, that unit has its limits. I have learned them with time and do all I can to keep it within its optimal range.

DD listened and with the demand for a all electric Commerial Grade spreader and lesons learn updated the design and increase the capacity. Again, I bought early and added the 2.5yrd spreader for just about $5,800.00 installed. Now I have heard they are already up to nearly $8,000.00 same unit less than 6 weeks later.

The addition of dual motors is awesome as I think it is one of the two draw backs of the 1st Gen units. I ordered and wish I keep it in my yard when it was delivered the 1.5yrd but the new tie down design would not fit the back of my service body. The chain drive replaced the rubber belt and I think that would the 2nd draw back of the 1st Gen units.

I was just told due to the overwhealing demand for for this product in all 3 sizes DD WILL NOT be able to fill in season orders until Feb/March 2010. Leading to the price increase previously metioned. Most pre-season oreder will not get filled until late Dec.09. Only draw back to this is DD is MFGing this design in RED,YELLOW, and GRAY, or Western, Fisher, and Blizzard.

I have been told the issue with the producition limitation is changing the line for the coloring and branding. So as consumers WHY do people act like there is a difference in the product because of the color???

Just think how the industry both small and large business operator alike would have bennifited from the ability of DD to just run one production line and mass produce this awesome spreader. End reasult many more people would have a need spreader in their truck. Improved MFG process brings price point down and increased sales bring dollars into the economy.ussmileyflag

Ron G.

2. 3311

3311 Senior Member

I also purchased a new Tornado 2.5. Looks like the issues of earlier models have been addressed. Can't wait to run a few tons through this unit. :nod:

3. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Just got my 1.8 two weeks ago and have spread 2 loads. Happy with the unit although there are a couple of fit issues with the spinner assembly. will be starting a thread today with the problems I have run into.