1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Daystar USA....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksland, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Another maintenance company that calls for bids... here is the situation...

They called a week or so ago about a gas station for plowing/salting. At that time I did a search about them and saw they are slow payers and decided against bidding.

They called again today, basically in desperation. First conversation I pin-pointed the location they needed servicing, it turns out it is a mile from my home/office. At this point I figured, maybe I will go with it. Only a small account, see how bad it is... I turn down US Maintenance all the time.

They fax their packet/bid sheet, they expressed how quickly they were hoping to get it back (storm scare for Monday). I tell them I will look at it in the morning.

They then call back saying, look....here is the deal... and fax me a price sheet which I assume is their allotment for the site. They said they don't have time to go back and forth over pricing.

The price for plowing is at least double what I would charge. Almost 3 times the amount. I assume these are the numbers that any contractor bids under, they keep as profit. Being that they don't have anyone lined up, it seems I have a good position here.

So what do you think? I have already pretty much made up my mind to give it a shot, I don't mind waiting 2-3 months for payment being that it is much more than I would have bid it at.

Anything I am overlooking here?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them you'll do it but they have to send the first 4 payments first.payup
  3. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

Yeah I would require a few payments up front. I have friends that have done work for Daystar. Ie. Plowing all the Rite Aid Stores in CT. They said it was a P.I.A. trying to get payment and the rules they had were screwed up to say the least. They had a clause about no subs, etc. So get a prepayment first, so atleast you have cash in hand.
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I bid on the rite aids for genisus but I guess they lost them to daystar anyway they staked them out but it didn't help any with that 4inch storm we had they wrecked all the concrete curbing at the Thomaston site :dizzy: .I guess you get what you pay for
  5. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Yeah... ive had them call me , i personally dont like them price wise ... they wanted me to do a circuit city plaza.... they offered 8,500 for the season.... thats insanely cheap... i called them up and told them i dident want the contract... sure enough come the storm we had on thanksgiving... they called me up and said where are you we are getting complaints about snow and ice at the circuit city .... i said that it was not my contract .. they said ok and hung up... 6 more people called me from daystar that day untill i turned the table and said let me talk to a manager and told them if one more person called me about it that i would press harrasment charges lol i wouldent but it scared them lol... the thing about it was its not like they where demanding me to do it but it was like a lack of comunications between people over there IDK if they are giving you a good price go for it but just becareful they are a bunch of idiots!!!
  6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

We are talking about over $400 0-3" for a basic square about 20,000 sq ft.