1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Day started great, and then...................

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HereToLearn, Dec 23, 2004.

1. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Things were moving along great this morning. Hit most of my residentials by 7am, got my 2 businesses done by 8, then finished the other resi's. Had a few people flag me down to do their drives. I was making good time and turning a good profit. Then my 4x4 goes out on me. I take it to the spray off car wash to see if there's anything I can knock loose. When I pulled up to the self-serve car wash, I noticed some big icicles hanging down. I grab the wand and proceed to knock all the icicles down so they wouldn't fall on my truck. NOPE, must have missed ONE friggin icicle. I was power washing the undercarriage when I hear WHAM! yep, huge dent right in the quarter panel. My day went to hell in a handbasket.

So I ask you this: Have any of you had this problem with your 4x4? It just won't engage. Never had a problem with it. yes, I was running it pretty hard for 8 hours.
    Also, is the car wash responsible for the icicle? I saw no "use at own risk" sign, nor did I see any contact information or a phone number to call. What would you do?

2. cc2004

cc2004 Member

I feel bad for ya (i really do)now you have to worrie about how everything is going to get done.
    The last time my 4 wheel went i heard a BIG bang and it was the transfer case.

Monday that just past i had a tranny go on one of our 350's.Picked that back up last night.

If you lived closer we could give you a hand.We help other guys out a lot around here when they get in trouble and they do the same.

Good luck

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

What type of hubs do you have? I have a older Chevy with automatic hubs which go out every 5 years. The 4wd light won't go on. Sometimes it is a wire to the sensor and sometimes it is the sensor itself. The wire off is less than $20, the sensors are around $200? Good luck.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

HTL if you have a nextel two way me # 130*44*1595 maybe I can help with your truck. :waving:

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what type, year, etc is your truck.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Garret,
    Bekieve it or not, with your truck, it could be something as simple as a fuse. CHECK ALL THESE FIRST!

7. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

my dodge 1500 has vacuum hoses that engage the 4wheel drive.

Snow and ice knocked them off a couple of times last year. The first time I brought it in. (btw, its amazing what shops will charge to put a hose back on)

The next time i crawled under there to take a look....just slipped the hose back on. 4x4 worked again.

BUT, when the hose fell off it didn't take it OUT of 4x4... it just wouldn't engage.

thats my story...and i'm sticking to it.

Glen

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

That really stinks, I feel for ya!!!!

What kind of truck do ya have that broke?

and where do you primarily work?

Good luck with fixing it, hopefully it wont set ya back any major bills. Have a good one!!!

9. schnitz

schnitz Member

A buddy of mine has a 1988 GMC that had that problem. It had an electrical connection come loose. Simple to fix. Look for the simple stuff first.

10. MLB

MLB Senior Member

The 88+ GM's had a problem with the 4wd actuators going out. My 90 went out 2 years ago. There is an aftermarket upgrade thats cheaper and better too. (for those GM models)

11. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Yes the car wash is reasponsible but it will be hard to prove. If you have any witnesess that is good. A police report is solid.

Even though it says use at your own risk that dosne't mean a thing. An establishment cannot wave all liability by putting a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK SIGN UP otherwise every building in the country would have one outside. What if the icicle (check spelling on that one) hit you and injured you?

Bottom line its there fault and they have the reasponsibility to pay if you can prove it. If it comes down to it you can easily take them to small claims court to collect.

12. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Thanks for all the replies. My truck is a 94 dodge ram 3/4 ton. I'm gonna go check the simple stuff (stuff I can check myself) right now. Is the vacuum pump that goes from the floor selector to the front diff sort of like an actuator?

I guess when I posted that my "4x4 went out" I should have said that it stopped working. I don't think it is the actual 4x4. Electrical, fuse, hose, pump etc........that sounds more like it. I didn't hear or feel anything, it just all of a sudden would not engage, and the light wouldn't come on. If someone could tell me a bit more indepth about the vacuum pump....where exactly will I find it? does it go from the front diff to the floor board? Thanks

As for the icicle hitting my truck, I am going to call the company and see what they say. I'm sure something of the like has happened there before. Now I just need to find their name and number. I didn't see anything posted there.