1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Daul Batteries

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Twolf, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

I assume some, if not many, are running them. Plowed my yard yesterday, only about 4-5 inches and could hardly keep the truck running when raising or angeling the plow. I know the battery that's in there, it's a new yard truck this fall, isn't top of the line. It worked fine when the weather was warmer but the cold snap has caused some issues. It's an electric hydrolic fisher speedcast. I'm either going to replace with a better quality, higher CCA battery or go dual. Was wondering what everyone elses thoughts were. We may be seeing 12" this weekend and I really need to do something asap!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

maybe the alternator is to Small, belt slipping, or your battery is bad.

batteries store electrical energy, the alternator provides electrical power.
    when you draw more than the alternator can supply it draws extra needed power from the battery as well. The alternator recharges the battery between uses.

so if you have a battery that is to small it will not have enough power to help for very long when you work the plow (plows will draw from 100 to 300 amps) and the voltage will drop causing dim lights, slow plow operation and eventual causing the truck to stall.

if you have an alternator that is to small it cant charge the battery up between uses and you have the same result.

Putting a bigger battery in with an alternator that is to small will only delay the problem, (takes longer to run the battery down) which maybe enough to finish plowing the yard.

bottom line a bigger battery may or may not fix your problem, how big is the alternator?
  3. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

I have no idea, I assume it's a stock unit for an 85 dodge power ram with a 318. I just purchased the truck this fall so I really couldn't even tell you if the alt works at all. I'll have to put a meter across the battery and see whats going on. The battery looked to be fairly new however, it most likely is a low cca discount auto parts car battery. Honestly I haven't looked that closely at it because up until now it's worked okay. I did drive it home, about an hours drive, without issue.

My driveway isn't that large and I could most likely do it in 15 or 20 minutes with only half to a dozen pushes, a few for the long run and then a few each for the turn around and the road end so it's quite possible I have alt issues. It operated better after I let it idle for 10-15minutes but again quickly ran down to the point the truck would stall when I tried to lift it and wouldn't restart, had to be jumped. When it did operate, The lights did dim severly when raising or angling

I let it idle for about a half an hour when I was done and it started right back up but of course it was warm at the time. Didn't have a chance to try it this morning.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

if your charging system isn't big enough you will kill your battery .
  5. mercmn91

mercmn91 Junior Member

I got this from a post in 2000, may be different now but this is what I was going to do, just never did. I need to tho.

I took the 2+ terminals and connected them together in parallel.This gives you 12 volts,but double the reserve capacity,and cranking amps-it will make the plow so much faster and the motor will last a lot longer too.I bought 2 brand new Interstate Mega-tron 725CCA batteries,put them both at the same time.My plow flies back and forth now,and hardly any dimming of the lights when lifting/angling.I got my + cable from my Dad's 1980 Caprice Wagon,it was a diesel new,and its had a gas motor in it for 15 yrs now,so it has only had one battery in it,I just pulled the thick cable that went from one batt to the other,it fit great,I just secured it to the radiator shroud and it looks like the factory did it.I used the - terminal from that car too-since it was just dangling.It cost me 37 for the tray,brand new at GMC dealer.My total cost with 2 new batteries was about 160,not bad considering how much it'll help while plowing.
  6. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

sounds like an alternator to me.

The winch on the snowbear pulls a lot of power, lights dim quite a bit lifting it, but the moment it stops, the lights are fine. The motor doesn't miss a beat.

I would investigate the problem, not fix the symptom. A second battery might help, but won't fix the underlying problem.

Check the battery cables too. I had my truck worked on recently, they removed the battery cables. They put them back but not tight..truck ran like crap and would rarely start. A 1/4 turn on both terminals fixed the problem. Why they removed the + side is beyond me though.
  7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio