1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Data for the year AFTER the worst winter....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2moresleeps, Oct 25, 2008.

1. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Can anyone find out what the year AFTER the worst winter was like? Not sure what that does for me but I need to know that there is a possibility that I wont lose my mind again this year.

Is there a chance that somehow the year after the worst winter could possibly be worse than the worst winter?

Ontario info. Can't find it anywhere.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You would have just as good luck using a crystal ball or picking a possibility from a hat. Prepare for the worst and take what comes. If you made it through last year you should be able to make it through anything.

3. sherwin

sherwin Member

Well if last year the was the worst winter, that makes this winter, the winter after the worst winter. Perhaps a crystal ball could help us with this. You bring up a good point though, I'll have to look up what the winter previously known as the worst winter was and see what the winter after that looked like.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Im not exactly sure what kind of data you are looking for but I use this

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/monthlydata_e.html

you can check out each year and pick your weather station. I used Cobourg which is my town.

So if you know what the last worst winter was you could then check what the year after that was like. You would have to know the year however.

Last year was good to me. Not because I had to plow alot and had alot of per push's but that it was alot of snow and it weeded out alot of the other guys, because they lost money. Now I have started to find that this year, there are more guys getting into the business only because they ahve a truck to pay for and job layoffs. Kinda brutal how one thing effects the other. Hope that link helps, if not let me know I can keep looking.

5. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

As CET says it can be pretty random. Yes last year was an all time record breaker so bet on it being downhill from there. But weither it is above average or below average it is still random. Over my last 18 years of charting snow fall amounts there doesn't seem to be a pattern

6. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree that if we got thru last year, anything would be easier however, with the contracts escalating due to the "worst" winter, I find it very difficult to turn down the $$$$. I am getting nearly double from previous years and NOT ONE person has complained. It's amazing how people seem to "find" the money in the budget this year for good service.

I also agree that it would be difficult if not impossible to guess what this year will bring however I am just shy of seeking a psychic to assist me.

My thinking is to take whatever I want and if we get slammed, there's always the option to move to florida. Hell, I heard of soooooooooooooooo many companies going under, whats to say I can't join the list. J/K. My wife wouldn't move so I am stuck here either way