1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dashboard question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Greenstar lawn, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

04 2500hd gauges and odometer stopped working but the dash lights work. Is there a cluster that I need to replace?

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Clusters were notorious in those year trucks. Usually involves replacing it with a reman unit and having it reprogrammed to the truck. Not sure though if the one in the truck currently, if it is rebuilt instead of replaced, if you have to reprogram it or just plug and play.

3. Greenstar lawn

What do you mean by reprogramming it? How would I do that?

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

The notorious cluster failure does not happen in the form of the cluster going dead, it happens in funky gauge behavior. "gauges and odometer stopped working but the dash lights work" almost always means a fuse, and likely not one that's labeled "cluster" or anything like that...I can't remember now, might be "cigar", whatever it is I'm pretty sure it is completely illogical. Just check all the fuses.

5. Greenstar lawn

Awesome thanks guys. I will check fuses but something tells me it's behind the dash bc I was able to tap the clear cover over gauges and then the dash would work

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If the fuses dont fix it, take the cluster out and send it to www.gmgaugerepair.com . I just had mine rebuilt by Todd for $110 plus shipping one way (he pays return shipping in that price to nearby states). My cluster works great now and it took less than a week and you can still drive the truck without it.