1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dash removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by westman431, Sep 15, 2002.

1. westman431

westman431 Junior Member
    from Idaho

I'm doing a cab swap on my 79' GMC sierra with a 75' Chevy c/10. I can't quite figure out how to take out the dash hull. It seems like the dash is connected to the firewall and window seal. Any pointers, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I know that there are a few bolts, but I dont know if its spot welded at the window frame. Never got that far .

I would love to know the answer to this question too, as I would love to replace mine. The dash was cut apart by a previous owner to put a FORD radio in it. What an A**Hole!!!!

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I just took a look in the cab of my "under construction" truck (it's currently gutted) and it does have the dash attached to the windshield flange area with spot welds.

That's the "bad" news, the "good" news is, the dash inner panel should be the same in both year trucks you have so it shouldn't be neccesary to switch it over, unless it has been hacked or damaged. (While the gauge bezel and outer dash cover are probably different between the model years, the actual mounting screw locations on the dash inner panel should be the same. I believe the wiper switch and headlight switch also bolt up the same throughout the 70's)

JCurtis - is it possible to "section" your dash and just cut out and replace the radio mounting area with a section removed from a"donor" cab? Same idea as cutting out and MIG welding in a new cab corner.

4. westman431

westman431 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Yep, you were right 75. I looked and my 79 cab(windshieldless) and the dash, firewall, and window sill are spot welded together. Good thing the dashes are identical. However I did come across another problem. As a forewarning if you have A/C in one truck and not in the other you are screwed. The firewalls are completely different. Just thought I'd share that with everyone.