1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dash lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peanut46g, Nov 21, 2004.

1. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I just bought a 83 gmc 1/2 ton. All the lights work, but the dash lights don't work when I turn the headlights on. I've turned the knob both ways that dim and make the dash lights brighter, but they're not working at all. I can't read the writing on the fuse box, but I checked all the fuses, and they are all good. Could it be the light switch or what are the possible problems?

Thanks, Dan

2. You're talking about the lights for the speedo, etc? If so, and fuses are ok, then you prolly just have a burned out bulb back there.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Could be the rheostat in the switch is shot. Try wiggling it around while u turn in and see if it flickers at all.

They are super easy to change if that is the prob.

4. if it was the dimmer switch, the radio lights would be out too. Wouldn't they? But if the radio lights are in fact not working, then it very well could be the dimmer switch.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That is a good question, if they are on do they dim with the switch? Naturally if they were to do that it wouldn't be the switch.

As far as bulbs go, for them to be totally out (not even counting indicators, just backlights) it would need to have like 6 bulbs burned out...

When I was swapping clusters in my '82 a few weeks ago, I spotted numerous burned through traces on the circuit board of my donor that would have caused no backlighting but everything else would have worked. It would depend where the burn is. There was also (on the donor truck as well) the wiring on the switch--the connector was all melted in one corner and (in my case) had stake-on repair work. No idea what caused it, I replaced the connector and stake-ons with a factory piece from a parts truck.