1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dash lights keep resetting

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tom18287, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

i have a 2003 chevy 2500 hd, every time i push a button on the plow controller my dash lights reset like when you first start the truck. the engine stays running, i just cant figure out what it is.

any ideas? :mechanic:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Recent install? I'd say you have the plows keyed ignition source wire connected to somewhere it shouldn't be or you don't have the plow ground cable directly on the battery terminal.

3. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

installed 3 years ago, doesnt do it all the time only sometimes. didn't do it when they first installed. could ground be loose, and when it's not making contact it does it?

thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes a poor/corroded connection somewhere on the plow power cables would be a likely cause then. And be sure to check every single one all the way from the battery terminals to the pump motor. And be sure both cables actually are connected directly to the battery and not anywhere else.

And be sure the small black/red wire is properly and securely connected. Trace it out of the harness under the dash to see exactly where it's tied into the truck for a keyed ignition source and let us know as it may not be in the best location.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

BB,could it be a bad battery?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes of course that can always be a possibility with anything with a plow mounted. But a bad connection usually affects a GM of this era more so than a weak battery.

Tom are you sure you're only losing the dash lighting, or all the exterior parking lights too?