1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dash/Deck Lights. Opinions Needed.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DeereFarmer, Nov 8, 2009.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am going to be doing some higher traffic places this year. I need some more lighting. I'm not sure that only my halogen daul rotator is going to cut it (or should i say I have a good excuse to buy some more lights). My only problem is this will probably be the last season I plow with my truck before I upgrade so I don't want to do hide-a-ways and a light bar. I'll be doing that from the start on my next truck. So I'm looking for some non-mermanent lighting. Has anyone used a dash LED light? What I was to do is mount to of them on my back window and maybe one on the windshield. How bad would the flashback be? Are there any that are specially made for the rear window of a pick up? What do you guys use? Hope the off season has treated everyone well. It's good to be back.:drinkup:
  2. DeereFarmer

Forgot to subscribe...
  3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Here is my Whelen SpitFire Plus dash light. Since I did not want any roof lights, so this was a solution to put a little light out front and up high, you could easily trim the plastic to match a rear window angle. The plastic shroud happened to be perfectly angled to my windscreen, very little flashback is noticable, I could even silicone it to the glass for none.

Funny, I was thinking about getting a rear one today, don't need it tho. :jester:

4. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I just ordered the Spit Fire Plus for my rear window, depending how I like it I may put one over each headrest.
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

id go avenger for the dash and super slimlighter for the rear window. the avenger comes with a flashback shield so that will have minimal flashback and the slimlighter will have some flashback but not so much that it will be an issue.
    http://www.sirennet.com/whavn2.html avenger
    http://www.sirennet.com/whelslimmver.html slimlighter

or you could go with the dominator style light in the rear window again will have some flashback however these lights are for hardwired installation
    http://www.sirennet.com/whdoduled.html dominator TIR3
    http://www.sirennet.com/whdp2.html dominator LINZ6
  7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I am debating between another one of those for my rear window, or something like this:
  8. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

i like ur suggestions. in fact i said the same thing haha whelen is quality stuff
  9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

In my opinion, Dash lights are completley anoying with the flashback. You got the top bar already. Id just do the hideaways. Take the system out when you sell the truck. I used a dash light last year and it really does get anoting especially if its night. And with the hideaways you get 360 degree coverage
  10. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

If you have a bar up top, a dash light is fairly redundant (though if we eliminated all redundancy, this part of the forum would likely not exist, haha). I too was worried about flashback, but if you position the light shroud exactly parallel and on the windscreen there is nearly none.

I went with a small dash light since I have no lights up front (Cherokee marker lights are on the side, not corners), and wanted one up high.

My dash light is on a separate switch, in case snow creates flashback I can turn it off in a driveway, and turn it on while on the road (I got the dash light to try to keep people from pulling out in front of me last minute from side roads).
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

where did you get them from? and if you can let me know how you like them,i ave a slim meiser on the front windshield and am looking for something for the rear window. or send a pic.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

How do you like your slim-miser? I may get one for my back window after trimming the shroud.

I got my SpitFire Plus here:
  13. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I put the flat dash light behind my headrest in my 05 2500 chevy and it has no flash back except if salt is too high in back but I can move it if I need to.
  14. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a nice looking light as well, same price as the Spit Fire Plus and it looks like it might be a little bigger.

I got my lights from Sirennet.com I just got it today, seem like a nice light so far. I put it in the rear window, its actually not as bright as I thought it would be but its worth the money in my opinion. I actually ordered another one today.
  15. DeereFarmer

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Slimlighter for the rear window and probably nothing for the windshield based on all your opinions. I've always had Whelen products and they have never failed me. This will just be a temporary set up until I get another truck either late this winter or next year. My next set up will be 6 Whelen 90 watt hideaways, back rack with a Mini Edge strobe with alleys, takedowns, and more work lights mounted on the back rack. Thanks guys.
  16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

A little late, I have a dual A/A Talon on my dash. I am currnetly weighing the option of tir 3s to the rear somewhere.
  17. DakotaDarron

DakotaDarron Member

hey I skimmed through this quick so dont shoot me if somone alreaady mentiond it but if your looking for LED's At a cheap price check out speedtech lights, just google tham . there about as cheap as you can get and they hold up pretty well in comparison and seeing how you said you were ditching the truck after this season they will transfer over real Nice. ive actually used them my self and i would buy them again ... if that is i ahd a place to put them on my dakota .... its LOADED lol
  18. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Please don't they are terrible.
  19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

OMG....run as far away form this as you can.....holy cow.....CHEAP JUNK...

i am selling my amber white t-6 slimlighter......retails over 225.....150
  20. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Hey George i guess you did not want to sell it as i never heard from you Saturday. I had your $150 waiting.