1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Darn V-Box Engine

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gordyo, Apr 8, 2003.

1. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I know I posted a few months back that I have not had any problems with my Briggs Engine or my old Honda but......Today I went to salt and the darn Briggs 10.5 hp engine was acting like it was flooded. I pulled the fuel bowl off and checked the float and it worked fine and everything else looked fine. I could get it to fire but not run so I thought maybe it had one of those low oil switches. Nope. I was ready to give the thing my own version of "SHOCK AND AWE" when I decided to take the air cleaner off and spray a little starting fluid in there to see if I could get it to run and low and behold there was oil all over my hand when I did this and the air cleaner was sachurated with oil so obviosuly I had no air intake. Cleaned up the filter and now it runs fine. Now the question. I am still trying to figure out how all that oil got there. Obviosly out of the crankcase but why............ :confused:
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Was the motor tipped to a severe angle in loading or unloading? If tipped far enough oil will come in through the carb or breather and soak the filter. You may also have gotten gas into your oil which is not a good thing. I would drain the oil and also check the spark plug. Keep the unit level when loading/unloading or storing.
  3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I think you hit it. I was away last week and the ground crew guys reinstalled the sander in my absence. (I took it off at the beggining of last week and cleaned it and put it away for the summer like everyone else did when the temp hit 70) I bet they tipped it when they reinstalled it cause I talked to the Grounds Super this AM and he said that he had a very hard time getting it started after they remounted it and when it did run it ran like crap.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

gordyo, the tipping may have been it. I know on mine when that happened, I found two things. First, I'd forgot to close the fuel shutoff valve and it got flooded. Then, I was starting it wrong (didn't read the manual). I'd hold the switch inside till the flooding light came on then crank it like I do the lawn mower. It wouldn't start without starter fluid. Finally read the manual. You're supposed to start with the "accelerator" all the way shut, then open it as you crank it. Presto, starts right off every time.

Amazing the things I learn by reading the instructions.
  5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I think your right. I am going to pull that manual out tomorrow and read through it.

FIREDUDE26 Member

One little piece of advice, or sugg, i had a problem starting mine a few times this year. played with plug and other things. I got lucky one night when i seen the plug wire was arcing to the motor. it would run really crappy and would not throttle up. So come to find out the spark plug wire was short circuting to the motor. I wrapped the wire and havent had a problem since. Just a little advice if it is needed.

I think we might be safe to put them away now, ( I hope!!)
  7. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

oil in air cleaner of small engines

Another explaination for the oil in the air cleaner...with the new air quality regulations all of the small engine manufacturers vent the crankcase up to the air cleaner instead of to the outside so that the engine will meet exhaust emission requirements. I've seen this same thing happen when the engine is run "hot" (oil temps in the 250 to 300 range) this drives oil and oil vapor into the air cleaner where it finally is trapped.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want to solve the crankcase vent from puking too much oil into the air cleaner,you can stuff a small piece (2-3" long) of coarse scotchbrite pad into the breather tube as close to the engine side as possible.The oil vapours will condense on the pad,and run back down into the engine,instead of ending up in the air cleaner.

You can also use the coarse white breather filter material like a lot of cars use,but scotchbrite does the trick too.

This will also work on a car,when the engine starts to get tired and blowby increases.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Or, you could eliminate all the problems by switching to a hydraulic unit!;)