1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Darn Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ABES, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

So my check engine light is still coming on and its bugging me at first i thought the code was just system too lean bank 1. i was getting this code from a scan tool from checker. But when i had my truck in for the intake work they pulled 4 codes

HO25 Heater Perf. Bank 2 Sensor 2,

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

P0174 Fuel Trim Lean Bank 2

P1345 Crank Position - Cam Position Correlation

now my next plan of action is to replace all 4 o2 sensors and the fuel filter. anybody else have an idea of what all this could be. i thought at first all this was due to a leaking intake apparently not.

The truck has a complete tune up new platnum acdelco plugs wires cap rotor new distributor intake gaskets

2. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I had that same code a month or so ago in my car, i threw in a new camshaft position sensor, and problem solved. It was pretty cheap, installed myself.

Sorry, can't help on the other codes. O2 sensors sounds like the right path to follow though.

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

after the work was done, what are the current codes calling out?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure they cleared the codes after they performed the intake work?

Your O2 sensor problems may be due to coolant contamination of the sensors from the leaking intake gaskets.. if the sensors are contaminated, it can cause your lean fuel trim codes as well due to them sending incorrect info back to the ECM.

The crank/cam correlation code is due to them either not clearing the code after they set the distributor position correctly after reassembling the truck, or the distributor is too far out of phase. Remember in a previous post when I mentioned about the cam phase needing to be + or - 2 deg with the crank position sensor? Thats what that code can be caused by.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

well it stayed off for 2 days after the work was done and i havent had a code reader on it yet but i bet if i go to checker there code reader wont show all or the right codes since its just a cheap generic parts store scanner. And the shop would probly charge me to have it checked again.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

It was pulling these codes before i told them to go ahead and do the intake i know they used a scan tool to reset the distributor after they put it back together but then i also noticed there are some marks they must have used as reference points when reassembling. This shop does a lot of engine work so hopefully they did it right.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gonna have to scan it to find out for sure.

I'd have the place that did the actual work scan it, they should offer to do it at no charge if they're good business people. :)

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

allright i will hopefully be able to make it there friday (its about 30 minutes away) and ya they are a really good shop nice guys to work with. Tommorow i will go to the local oreilly and use there scanner and see if anything pops up.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

AutoZone will scan for free.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Most parts stores around here scan for free im just not 100% sure that the scanner they use is as good at pulling codes that professional shops use.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly ABES!

Wish more people understood that.

12. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Well the o2 code is for the heater not for the sensor half of it.. Installing a new o2 in that specific location will cure that code.. The 02 sensor has a heater built into it to help it be more accurate quickly so the engine can run in closed loop and therefore lower emissions..

The lean codes are both set which probably means its something that will dilute the whole intake with unmetered air, such as a decent sized vacuum leak.. If it were only set for one bank or the other you'd be looking at something related to that one side of the engine or one or two cylinders.. Like i said if both codes are set for lean it'll be something related to the whole intake manifold, maybe a vacuum line off..

The crank/cam correlation is like bb said with the distributor being turned too far or the gear being off a tooth, anything over + or - 2 will set the code, it shouldnt be on..

Both the cam/crank correlation and the lean codes should be dealt with by a decent scanner.. You're going to need one that can get into the "factory" portion of the ecm to get any relevant data like the CMP ****** for the crank/cam corrleation and the lean codes you could get data with just a generic setup for looking at fuel trims to see if there actually is something going on.. Usually +/- 10% on fuel trims for Long term FT will set codes..

The 02 sensor just needs to be replaced is all.

13. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

i've seen a contaminated mass air flow sensor cause the p0171/p0174 causing the pcm to lean out the engine. try a new mass airflow sensor or a known good one from a buddies truck. may take a few days to see if it is fixed.

14. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

idk what type of vehical you have but try screwing on the gas cap tighter. i know it sounds stupid. but it happens with a lot of trucks. if you dont screw it on real tight the sensor goes off and the check engine light goes on.

15. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Ah bowtytek made a good point, something i overlooked.. Dirty maf can cause that issue as well.. Dirt coating the hotwire of a MAF sensor can make it inaccurate and read less air that what is actually being drawn into the engine.. Instead of replacement though, a simple spray of carb cleaner on the wire inside the sensor can cure it (if this is the issue).. This can be done just by looking into the sensor without any disassembly.

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i cleaned the mass air flow sensor several times with brake cleaner didnt change anything

17. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

You'd almost need to get a scan tool with some decent software then to go any further really.. There isnt a whole lot that can be done without looking at some information.. Any other way and you're just guessing.. No need to replace 250$ in 02 sensors though.. May as well put that into the diagnosis of your other issues.

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

the 02 sensors are origional and the truck has 142K i was told they should be replaced at 100k

19. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

If you want go for it.. But if your on a budget then there is no reason to replace all 4 when the code only pertains to one.. The heaters do go out once in a while.. Chances are you'll end up replacing the other three in the next 10k mi anyway..

20. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just leave the gas cap hanging off on my 2500 diesel. The suction effect was causing the engine light to come on and the engine to sputter and shut down. The air filter really needed changing but that didn't effect the suction effect. I was wrongly led to believe that it was the electrical controller that sits on top of the engine and that was a waste of $300.
    You should also check your battery connections to see if they are not corroded. Check both batteries if you have two for charging