1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Darn blizzard

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by 7.3 Plower, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Sub contracted for a company at a location I'm not going to name... there was a lot of snow though and every last little bit had to be off the parking lots because every space for a car is filled by a car when the facility is in operation.

My truck wasn't about to move
    [​IMG]

The snow stopped overnight Friday into Saturday. Road hadn't been plowed Saturday and on Sunday we were a little itchy to get out and get going on cleanup so we made our own way out.

[​IMG]

Just used the 1 ton to get to the real snow moving equipment. Unfortunately it was down a 1.5 mile unplowed road. Fortunately the property it was on backs up to a supermarket that was plowed so the 1 ton started plowing the road to the site and I walked in from the supermarket and started plowing my way out from the opposite end with the loader.

Of course I fumbled the key to the loader when I was standing in snow that was up to my waist but after a few minutes of despair I crossed the posts on the starter and got to work.

7 hours after leaving the house we got the machine on site where it needed to be.

After 26 hours non stop in the cab of the loader we ended up with something like this.

[​IMG]

Underneath that pile windrow of snow is all parking so after getting everything pushed up so they could get essential personnel to work for a couple days the decision was made to haul it all out.

[​IMG]

Got that accomplished in 2 nights worth of work.

Wish I had more pictures but I was busy and sleep deprived like everyone else for the duration of the storm. Didn't get the last bit of work done until 3:15am Friday.

I'd like to add in that I'm pretty happy that I'd never set foot on the property prior to the storm and I didn't mess up anything except a little grass and one curb on the town road after the client asked me to push back the town road so that both lanes were open from the state road to their driveway.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Lucky *******!

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I know you guys had a snowfall that was "unprecedented", but I'll be quite honest with you...

I cannot sleep when it's snowing up a big storm. I would have been up all night, plowing my own drive, grandma's drive, brother in laws drive, neighbor's drive, and a few of my local customers that didn't mind me being there late at night.

There's no way I would have been able to sleep through that storm.....to wake up to a buried truck....

Cool pix, BTW.....Thumbs Up

4. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

You could not even see your own plow in the height of the storm.

5. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

4 to 6 inches an hour will change your mind on that. I tried to plow with the storm and was successful at most accounts for the first foot or so but went out around 11pm to try to get to my accounts again and the rate of snowfall had picked up and there was a solid 2 feet of snow in my driveway and my road. Got to the state road there was 6" but I was guessing where the edges of the road were due to near white-out conditions. I decided it was in my best interest to wait the storm out rather than put the truck in a ditch and potentially put the truck out of commission and freeze to death.

My personal truck is buried in the picture because I blew the transmission on it the Sunday prior to the storm doing a little spirited driving on a dirt road.

[​IMG]

And another of the 06 cause that little truck is an animal
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

You're calling him lucky and I agree - I was across the bay in Eastern Long Island all night - day eyt having a blast, but didn't you guys just get nailed in that midwest system?? Any pics?

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

7.3 Plower - not asking for locations as you stated, but where in the State are you? Some damn good work there!

8. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

9. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Thanks! So helpful! Even with no sentences...and to let me know he is offline!! :)

10. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

And you, sir, are on Powerstroke Army.

I'm in south central CT. Thanks for the complement but I was just a sub on the job so I can't take too much credit.

Not getting anything other than rain in the forecast right now though dangit! I need this snow to stick around so we have to haul out any future snow. More money for the loader man that way.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  11. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

That I am Thumbs Up

12. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

One word: garage

13. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

You gonna pay for it? My garage is too small to fit either truck and there's already 2 cars in it.

14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, mine stay in the heated garage. The spare truck sits in there so the one I am using will not break. :laughing:

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Hey, credit where credit is due - you're welcome and it was!