1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Daniels PullPlow hydraulic cylinder leaking

Discussion in 'Daniels Plows Discussion' started by rpaton, Feb 3, 2011.

1. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

I called Daniels company to order rebuild kit for a (roughly) 10 year old daniels PullPlow cylinder. They have rebuild kits but not for older cylinders. They want to sell me a new cylinder for $210. Anyone know where I can purchase the seals for the Daniels Plow. I'd hate to have to buy a whole cylinder.
    Thanks.

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have a newer model Daniels Pull plow and have been having issues with the Oil Fill breather cap. The cap has a sponge pc inside and the top part of the cap keeps coming off and sponge is oil soaked , the screw part of the cap remains screwed into the Oil Res. The Oil Res. is filled to half a inch to the top as described in the instructions any ideas

Daniels cap.jpg

3. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

I have wrapped 2 plastic ties around the monarch pump and pulled them tight. I had same issue with pump cap.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would think the $210 would be money well spent for an important piece of the whole plow. JMO though, good luck.

5. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

Paying $210 when all that is most likely needed are seals which I just replaced on my Western Ultramount for $15 is not money well spent. If for some bizzare reason I am not able to find the replacement part or another hydraulic cylinder at about same size for much less I would order the part through Daniels. Then and only then would it make sense.

6. WIPensFan

Do what you do.

7. TLK380

TLK380 Member

I have the new Daniels also. It leaked from the cap. I think keeping the oil 1/2" from top, is the reason that it leaks once it gets pressure.

8. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

Hey WIPensFan--- I think my response was kinda rude, I apoloigze. I know you are just tryin to help.

9. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Hey TLK mine keeps popping the top part of the cap off. The half that screws into the Oil Resv stays in it's just the other part that keeps popping off if theres to much pressure do we need less oil or what

10. WIPensFan

No problem, if you can fix it for much less than a new one, I can see where you're coming from. Hope you get it all working.:salute:

11. TLK380

TLK380 Member

Mine leaked and the cap came off too. I put more oil in it same senario.
    The third time it happened i replace the cap but i did not put oil.
    Also the cap goes on many different ways. Try to snap it on in a possition thats hard to pull off.
    Good luck.

12. TLK380

TLK380 Member

Hey Fourbycb, any thoughts on the Daniels pull plow oil leak?

13. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

TLK no idea I have a e mail to Daniels seeking there input waiting for a reply. I have tried less Oil than the 1/2 from top states and have tried a different position with the cap and still blows the top off

14. TLK380

TLK380 Member

Im sorry to hear that Fourbycb,
    I will check the oil level on mine tomorrow and respond.

15. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

TLK below is a response I gotback from Daniels

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. You can purchase parts direct from Daniels. We stock nearly all parts and can have shipped same day as ordered. In regards to the fill cap, this is a problem we have with the new Monarch caps. They changed the design about 3 years ago and we have not been happy with it but they insist it is a good cap. On all installs we have done in the last year we use a self tapping screw and go through the side of the top half and through the side of the bottom threaded half. The pressure that blows it off is usually a quick spike so by using the screw to hold the top half on it will hold through those spikes and not blow off.

I will try this and see how well it works

16. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

rpaton I have the updated poly seal and piston kits for most of the cylinders.
    And new cylinders in stock for $150.00 These have poly piston seals "not" the old pump clogging cup type seals.
    Fourbycb Most of the time the top of the cap "will" blow off if you put too much oil in the power unit.
    You need a large air space in these units due to the speed of the returning fluid.
    And by the way Monarch has used these caps for quite a few years.

If you need parts or info feel free to contact me directly.
    :rolleyes: John...