1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dangers of very low trucks

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

One of our customers bought a used Chev with an older ultramount MVP. He complained that the plow was very hard to mount and dissmount. He needed a floor jack every time. Also noticed that the cutting edges were wearing the outside edges faster than the centre. Classic signs of the plow A frame not being square to the ground.

He finally bought a second truck thinking he could switch the plow between the two. He soon leanred that this was not possible because the new truck was much higher in the front end and any good installer knows that you have to configure the plow to match the trucks height.

When he finally came to get his plow configured for the new truck we saw that the two configuration plates (the ones with the four holes) were worn so bad they only had three holes! As we look further we saw that the bottom of the A frame was worn so bad that the loops holding the floater bar at the rear were worn right off to the point that only thing holding the plow on the truck was the lift chain and the main pivolt bolt. The bolt was almost worn 1/2 of the way through! Have a look at the pictures and see for yourself. The owner turned white when we showed him. He said he was lucky it didn't break off on the highway and kill someone. What luck, he was so looking forward to making some money with this new storm.

Just goes to show how important it is to have your plow inspected every fall before the first snow, that way you can get it in shape before the snow falls.

Enjoy the pics and make your comments. I am interested to hear about similar stories.

2. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

How did anyone drive with it dragging all the time? I don't understand people who don't know how there equipment works. That guy shouldn't have been plowing.
  3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I kinda agree with ram WTF. It something isn't working right there is probably something that isn't right. How could the guy of let it get that bad. I guess it takes all types

He didn't by chance buy the plow used and just put the mount on his truck and start plowing with out reconfiguring the blade did he?
  4. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

X2 Side plates show it was in #3. The key word was in the first sentence. Mounted on Chevy. They will almost always be in config 1 or 2.
  5. mishnick

I am not sure of the vehicle history other than the fact that he bought it as is at an auction with plow already installed. Owner is very young and very broke. Brought it in a few times with minor problems (like and oil leak or burnt bulb) but was always needing it "yesterday" so never had time to get a good look at it. Clearly the young owner is not terribly mechanically inclnined, perhaps maturity is an issue too. We tried for the past two years to have him come in for a fall tuneup / inspection but would never come. We always offer a fall instpection / tuneup / oil change / inspection before the snow flies. Most owner / operators who don't have their own shops & mechanics appreciate it and take advantage. They find that it's better to do the repairs before the snow flies than to wait. You know how it is.... when the snow flies everyone seems to converge on the Western dealers right? This is a good example of why it is important to have your plow looked over every fall. When I do these inspections / services I check for missing pins, oil leaks and cracked welds etc. You would be amazed at what we find that owners didn't notice. If operators were compelled to take a course on plowing and perhaps if plows had to be inspected like big highway trucks this sort of thing wouldn't get so far ot of hand. But then it would just be yet another expense that operators would have to pay. It would be interesting to know the statistics on how many people die as a result of snow plows every year. Something to ponder.......
  6. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

Thank god my ultra mount only scrapes if i push too far over a curb, which i try not to do anyways. Thats alot of dragging on the ground there tho!
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

seen this a hundred times. any wonder us americans had to bail out GM even though the product is made in canada and mexico?

no offense mishkunick.ussmileyflag
  8. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

team america, f*** yeah!
  9. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

How is it Chevy's fault that Western designed a mount that hangs so low?
  10. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

it's not chevy's fault in particualr, however they are known to not have the front end support like the fords do. there's another thread here called 2500 vs f250 which has a good debate on the chevy front ends not being stiff enough.
  11. mishnick

In my experience chevys work fine as plow trucks if you do a proper installation and maintain it. I think perhaps the problem her has been the fact that the original owner didn't have the sence to put the plow down when the vehicle was parked. I suspect it was only used for plowing and it sat all summer with the plow suspended. This, of course, destroyed the front end over time. Many people like GM trucks because they are low and this makes them handle so nice. What makes me shake my head is these people with rediculous lift kits coming and wanting plows mounted.