1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 13, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

well as most of you guys know, a few weeks ago i bought a f150 with a 250 springs and such....

well last thursday it needed a rear main, so i got that fixed, and when it was apart i noticed that there was some sludge in the tranny. i didnt think anything of it execpt for that maybe it was just old oil.... so i get it back together and its all fine and dandy...

friday rolls around and i notice a small leak in the rear diff, so it needs a new gasket, not a big deal.

then saturday goes, and i realise that i need a new tie rod and ends.... again, not that big of a deal....

then sunday comes and im going down the freeway, i feel a jerk and i look in my mirror and i see a giant puff of white/grey smoke, so i pull off to the side of the road, get out, and well long story short i need a tranny rebuild!!!!!

i got kind of ripped on this truck, i paid 3500 for it, and after everything gets done its going to be a 5500 truck!!! i could have gotten a 97 f250 with a plow for that much!!!

oh well, at least i learned my lesson, while im young, and that is dont buy used equipment if you dont know 100% whats been done with it! but then again when your young and its your first year, sometimes you have to go used!

ah, well no sense in whineing about it, its just the facts of life/business i guess....

oh and after all that, to top my weekend off, on friday i shattered 2 windows with my 48" exmark (hit a water iron pipe, broke it, flew across the street, 3 houses down and shattered 2 car windows (i have to pay for it)), then saturday locked the keys in the dakota! lol. so it wasnt to good of a weekend..

oh wow, sorry guys, i needed to vent, lol. those who read it, im sure have had simular expierences in their day!

good luck everyone, and hopefully one day when im older (im 16) i can afford to buy a 35k plow truck!
  2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

It can always be worse

Hang in there. I know it seems bad, but believe me it can always be worse. At least no one got hurt or killed. :waving:
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sorry to hear of your experiences. Used vehicles bought from total strangers are truely a 'Pig in a Poke' situation--you can't have any idea what will happen. That is, unless you have a crystal ball, in which case I wanna borrow it for a while, ok? :p

Basically, when purchasing a used vehicle you need to keep a slushfund in reserve, and know what you can afford to spend and stay well below it just in case. There are certain tricks the 'experts' will recommend to look for when going over a vehicle (such as sniffing the tranny oil etc) but all this will provide is indicators, not necessarily actual fact.

Unfortunately, none of this helps you now... and I'm sorry to say nothing will. However, I can make you feel a little better about it! Hopefully, nothing more major will go wrong... then its only two grand you need to make up, which isn't bad at all. If the truck works well for you, you'll probably make the entire truck pay for itself easily within two years.... if not less, depending on your contracts. And then what? The truck will owe you nothing and will continue to run longer and still have resale value... What I am saying is think of your repairs as an 'investment'.

Definately, the ability to do these minor repairs at home is an asset, so if you haven't already got them (or a good friend with them) get yourself a decent set of hand-tools and take care of them so they will always be there when you need them. There are so many people out there with tool sets missing half the sockets... and an adjustable wrench can't fix everything!!! lol

Good luck, my friend, I'm sure people on the board can answer any questions you may have about your truck and will be more than willing to do so.
  4. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks guys, now that i think about it, your right, its more of an investment...

and yes, im able to do these things at my house, my dad was a mechanic about 20years back, and we have a ton of tools. but, some of it we cant, because well 1, im not very mechanically inclined, 2, my father works 5 days a week and on weekends hes usually working at the rental props, so a good freind of ours who is a mechanic is helping me out quite a bit.

but yeah, i guess ill just pray that everything runs good on it from here on out, and just use it and use it.

i just gotta read up on how to keep 4x4's in good shape, (my cousin said they require alot of extra maintence)
  5. derekbroerse

I wouldn't say they need 'a lot' of extra maintenance, you just need to remember that there are three extra components that a 2wd doesn't have... A front axle assembly, a front driveshaft, and a transfercase. Trucks that are used for heavy-duty applications (snowplowing is a good example) should be monitored a little more closely than Average Joe's Z71 commuter truck.

For example, an automatic tranny's oil and filter should be changed every few years on an average vehicle (most never see more than one if they are lucky in an average car).... a working truck should see it done maybe once per year. A plow truck should probably get it done once before the season, once during....

Transfercase and differential oils should be changed more often as well in a plow truck. Most average vehicles NEVER get differential oil changed.... no one ever thinks of it.

You mentioned that you are only 16. Are you still in highschool? Does your school offer Auto Shop, even as night school? I highly recommend it if you can get into it, it will pay dividends again and again throughout your life. If I remember right, Grade 10 auto was all your basics of how things work, later years were more in-depth into various systems. If you are not mechanically inclined at this point, consider these classes. Think what it would be like to be stuck mid season with a broken truck and no one is available to help you!

Just as an example, the last storm of the year last winter, I sheared off the eight lug studs on my right rear duals (my wheels were worn out, the holes were oblonged and I thought I could make it thru the season :() right in the middle of a grocery store parking lot, about an hour after starting. If I didn't know how to fix it I would have been in real trouble! I spent more time going back and forth to the house for tools and supplies than I did fixing it. It involved removing the brake drum and axle shaft from it and swapping it with parts from my parts truck--remember its a blizzard out, so it sucked. It took a few hours but I had the truck back up and running around and working (about three hours behind schedule). Honestly, it wasn't difficult, just time consuming by myself (other than calling mom out of bed to come pick me up). I was also lucky enough that my friend left his tool-truck unlocked so I was able to borrow/steal his 20 tonne bottle jack (my floor jack couldn't lift the rear of the truck with the load of gravel in it)....

Just a thought....
  6. PremierLand

from detroit

thank you for the info on the 4x4.

and yes they offer autoshop, im taking it this year, its a full year class, the shop is huge and we can do pretty much everything, 2 lifts, the equipment to turn rotors, and we can fit 9cars in the shop. lol. we start in the shop this friday, we've been reading and learning out of the book these past 2 weeks.

i plan to change the tranny fluid and diff fluid in the middle of the winter in there. my father said that the diff fluid REAKS! lol, that'll be fun.
  7. derekbroerse

Yeah diff fluid stinks, so does used coolant....

Burnt ATF is bad too... come to think of it EVERYTHING stinks! lol Sounds like a nicely equipped shop. Ours was too when I was there....heard shortly after I graduated the performing arts students took over that room too (along with the Machine Shop and Welding shop) as the teachers retired, so the school didn't bother hiring replacements....
  8. Ripple

Ripple Member

Shoulda bought a Chevy?