1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dang I got it back!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Rich Hunter, Mar 1, 2007.

1. O.K After complaining about this truck and fixing tons of stuff read my post in dodge about never buying a ford again I got this truck back because the guys check would not clear so I guess I am gonna fix it up a little to tow my 5th wheel camper and steel delivery trailer.Its a super duty with 10 lug nuts no its not 4x4 no it doesnt have a plow.What can I do to get more power as its totally stock with about 80k on it? I towed about 15k with it the other day and it did OK but I still want to have power on tap its got a 5sp and its loaded inside I never really fixed up any fords before and figure if I am stuck with it I might as well make it nice.Any ideas? it is a 7.3

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It looks like the older f450s. Different exhaust, airfilter and a programmer or chip should wake it up some. (i havnt read your other thread yet about it)
  3. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

what kind of ballpark price were you looking to get???
  4. I was selling it for 7k but after going through the repair records and after all the frustration I have had with this thing I have no choice but to keep it and drive it till the tires fall off! I do want to do dual pipes out the back but I am unsure about the diam of pipes. Looking into a chip and I already bought a K+N filter kit for it today anything else I can do to it to improve power.
  5. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I would go with a 3 inch down pipe to 4 inch pipes...Trust me it will make a difference, then I would get a tuner, or 4 position chip and that truck will run great...
  6. Can I use just straight pipes and no cats?I have to check the local laws about taking off the cat but I got a buddie with a cummins 98 I think that did that straight back with no mufflers or cats and man it runs good just wondering if it will work on a powerstroke.
  7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Get rid of that K&N filter and go with an open air filter like tymar. Much much better, and not as risky as a K&N. If the K&N is an open filter it will probably be ok, but if it is that retrofit to the stock filter housing forget it. 4" exhaust with a new open downpipe will help too. You could put a chip in it or bigger injectors. you could invest some serious money and get some serious increase in hp, but it doesn't sound like you want to invest the money in the truck. why don't you just do small mods and salt and plow with the thing? That truck will get going and tow a load, just not very quickly. Oh yeah. check out "www.thedieselstop.com"
  9. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Wanna have the COOLEST truck on here? Find a REMAN CAT 3208, and stuff 'er in there! the CAT with a manual tranny should do just great hauling your trailer. Not sure who could provide the transmission, the stock 5sp. prolly wouldnt work. That'd be one hell of a project :redbounce :bluebounc

10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member