1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dana 60 rebuild

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wesley's Lawn, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Well im finnaly redoing the front end totaly in my 86 K3500, which hasn't had anything major done to it sence it was new. It needs or I am just replacing the front springs, steering gear box, brake rotors and calipers, wheel berings, all new seals, upper and lower king pins and bearings, axle u joints. and some paint. Sorry didn't think to take pics and put on here until i already had it pretty much ripped all apart, but I will get more once I start getting the parts I have out for cleaning and putting stuff back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wesley's Lawn

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Looks like fun:dizzy: I had a dana 44 front on my 84 K20 and that thing was a pain to get those old balljoints out. At least you have a nice garage to do it in

4. Wesley's Lawn

LOL I wish i had a nice garage, thats my basement lol.

Heres the broken stuff I have found so far.

Cracked roller in a wheel bearing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bent/cracked bushing for upper king pin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

That is a heck of alot better than doing it in your driveway. At least it was summer

6. Wesley's Lawn

[​IMG]

Rusted/pitted lower king pin bearing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Look's like your havin' fun! Not sure if you've already though about it or not but are you going to pull the diff and replace the inner axle seal's? It'd be a good idea while you have it tore down that far. If you need torque specs or any other info when your ready to reassemble it,just give me a yell as I can do those 60's in my sleep. :D

8. Wesley's Lawn

Yup, gonna do all the seals, im just gonna bring it to a local 4 wheel place and have them do the inners and check the backlash and the internals over and then when i get it back put it all back together again. I would say with all the work that i have to do to it is worth it considering this is the first time ever being taken apart like this.Only thing its had done was the U joints once before. Pretty dam good for a 20 year old plow truck lol. :drinkup:

9. wls

wls Senior Member

I put a d-60 in my f-250, 1997 this summer, completly rebuilt it.

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member