1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dana 60 or 70?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MnM, Dec 14, 2005.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

I have a 1990 power ram and i am trying to figure out what rear end is underneath. Does anyone know. I know my front is a dana 60 but unsure about the back. I think there are some numbers on the case also
  2. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Gas Dana 60 + 44HDF(3/4 ton) or 60F(1 ton), Diesel Dana 70 + 60HDF. PK
  3. MnM

MnM Senior Member

how much stronger is the 70 than 60. I am going to be loading alot of weight in the bed?
  4. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

You won`t have to worry about loading that 70 Dana. Mines a 70 rear Dana 60 HD front and if I were running a good allison auto in this truck it would be the ultimate plow truck. The way that front axle sits back under the Cummins you can turn on a dime and that makes nice plow work.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually, it could be a Chrysler Corporate 9.25 incher in a 3/4 ton instead of the 60- check out dodgeram.org under specs, rear axle. Acording to their chart the standard duty 250 was a Corporate, the HD250 and diesel were 70's

Somewhere they have a chart of axle ratings- there's a fairly significant weight capacity difference from 60 to 70. The 60 in front application for those years is rated to 4500lbs- I think the 70 is rated to over 5200. Front app must be similar to rear so that;s my guess.

BTW look at the trucks door sticker- the GVWR is there and it should tell you the RAWR and FAWR seperatly.

RODHALL Senior Member

The only time the 9 ¼ rear came in a 250 was a Ram 250 van

90 w 250 truck could have either Dana 44 HD CAD or the 60 in the front
    Rears were Dana 60 or 60HD

Dana rears are funny as if you clean the dirt out of the corner webbing you will find the 44 / 60 / 60HD / 70 / 80 cast into the corner webbing.